2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to live up to my words and have an appointment to have new gears and lockers installed. I didn't win the lottery but am getting a year end bonus so a good chunk of it is going to the Expedition. Going with the 4.56 gears and ARB lockers with onboard air. Was going to go with just the rear locker but I don't want to cheap out now and wish I did the front while I had the opportunity. I'm sure I'll find a way to justify it to myself eventually :).

Rockclutch

Reaction score
Well, I'm going to live up to my words and have an appointment to have new gears and lockers installed. I didn't win the lottery but am getting a year end bonus so a good chunk of it is going to the Expedition. Going with the 4.56 gears and ARB lockers with onboard air. Was going to go with just the rear locker but I don't want to cheap out now and wish I did the front while I had the opportunity. I'm sure I'll find a way to justify it to myself eventually :).
Cool beans Bob!
What reason(s) made you choose 4.56 gears in particular? Read quite a few posts about 4.11s as well so wondering what advantage you are seeing? Going to be making a choice for my rig in '18 as I'm currently on 3.73.
I think you are going from 3.73 right?
Appreciate any guidance on this.
I'm curious and love to modify my stuff (a curse perhaps) and geek out in general. I've no intention of selling my expy and have overlander dreams regularly.[emoji41]
So I must mod.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool beans Bob!
What reason(s) made you choose 4.56 gears in particular? Read quite a few posts about 4.11s as well so wondering what advantage you are seeing? Going to be making a choice for my rig in '18 as I'm currently on 3.73.
I think you are going from 3.73 right?
Appreciate any guidance on this.
I'm curious and love to modify my stuff (a curse perhaps) and geek out in general. I've no intention of selling my expy and have overlander dreams regularly.[emoji41]
So I must mod.

Hi Rock... yes, we have the same gears. Funny you mention the 4.11's because that's where my mind was a few months ago. Seemed like that was the right gear choice to get me back to stock ratio. But the more I looked, seemed like many were saying go 4.56 because you'll wish you had. There's a 2007 Expedition that went from 3.73's to 4.56's and they said it was awesome... of course they don't have the 4.11's to compare. When I called a couple of shops and talked about what I wanted to do, they both were like, "Yea, 4.56's are the way to go". My reasoning is heavier tires, heavier bumper, maybe rear bumper at some point... so a little higher gearing may not be a bad thing. The other side is going from 3.73's to 4.11's not that big of a jump. Probably a horrible reason to base a decision on though :).

I've been dreaming of the ovelanding thing too... sounds like it would be a lot of fun and a good way to see parts of the area that not many get to see.

Rockclutch

Reaction score
Hi Rock... yes, we have the same gears. Funny you mention the 4.11's because that's where my mind was a few months ago. Seemed like that was the right gear choice to get me back to stock ratio. But the more I looked, seemed like many were saying go 4.56 because you'll wish you had. There's a 2007 Expedition that went from 3.73's to 4.56's and they said it was awesome... of course they don't have the 4.11's to compare. When I called a couple of shops and talked about what I wanted to do, they both were like, "Yea, 4.56's are the way to go". My reasoning is heavier tires, heavier bumper, maybe rear bumper at some point... so a little higher gearing may not be a bad thing. The other side is going from 3.73's to 4.11's not that big of a jump. Probably a horrible reason to base a decision on though :).

I've been dreaming of the ovelanding thing too... sounds like it would be a lot of fun and a good way to see parts of the area that not many get to see.
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the feedback. I'd been kinda stuck on 4.11s as a given. Can't wait to hear your experience on the 4.56 results. Totally rethinking my options now and starting to hunt down more information.

Now....where'd I put that piggy bank?

Merry Christmas
Phil

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the feedback. I'd been kinda stuck on 4.11s as a given. Can't wait to hear your experience on the 4.56 results. Totally rethinking my options now and starting to hunt down more information.

Now....where'd I put that piggy bank?

Merry Christmas
Phil

Hi Phil.

Here is the Expy that regeared to the 4.56's... always nice to hear the experience from others doing similar things...

They're also on this forum... Adventure Driven.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Bob

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob,

What will your RPMs be at 70 MPH with 4.56 gears? Gear ratios always confuse me. Is it the higher the number the lower the gear ratio?

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bob,

What will your RPMs be at 70 MPH with 4.56 gears? Gear ratios always confuse me. Is it the higher the number the lower the gear ratio?

I don't have any actual data but if I calculate things... I should have been turning about 1943 RPM with the 3.73 gears and stock (31.6") tires. With the 35" tires I should be at 1755 RPM's or so. Going with 4.11 gears would take me back up to 1933 RPM's and the 4.56's would take me to 2145 RPM's. Thinking the extra RPM's could be useful to offset increased drag of a roof tent. Giving myself room to grow :).

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any actual data but if I calculate things... I should have been turning about 1943 RPM with the 3.73 gears and stock (31.6") tires. With the 35" tires I should be at 1755 RPM's or so. Going with 4.11 gears would take me back up to 1933 RPM's and the 4.56's would take me to 2145 RPM's. Thinking the extra RPM's could be useful to offset increased drag of a roof tent. Giving myself room to grow :).
Okay, that's still hard for me to understand. I was thinking that being under 2000 was better for gas mileage, but if you put larger diameter tires on don't the RPMs go down. I'm not sure how that works with the power curve.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Andy... you're right... bigger tires, lower RPM's for the same speed. Engine and tranny have to work harder to keep things moving. It's easier for me to compare to a bike... when you're in too small of a gear for the speed, you have to really stand on it to keep things moving vs shifting to a taller gear, getting RPM's up, and taking less overall effort. with the 35" tires my gas mileage dropped to about 11 from 14. Hoping to get some of that back with the new gears.

It's Christmas Eve!! What are we doing on the computer!? :)

Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well... I bit the bullet over the holiday break and got the new gears installed. Went with the 4.56's. As a last minute sanity check I talked to the guys at the shop about 4.11's vs 4.56's and they said the 4.11's aren't that big of a step up from the 3.73's and that I wouldn't even feel the difference. So stuck with the 4.56's.

I must say I'm happy with the results! Where she used to labor to keep speed on a gradual incline she now maintains speed with little effort. On steeper grades, where I would need to keep pushing the accelerator while still losing speed until she down shifted, I now get a good response, sometimes even while staying in OD. Overall she just feels lighter and more responsive.

I do need to get my computer updated because while with the 35" tires I ran about 10% faster than speedo, I'm now running about 10% slower than the speedo. I must say that the difference, while noticeable and positive, it wasn't extreme... so I can see why they said the 4.11's wouldn't be noticeable, certainly much more subtle. Speedo would have been correct though :).

File_009 (1).jpeg

Rear end ready to be re-installed... old ring & pinion and diff in the back.

File_006.jpeg

Front end close to being done. I decided to go ahead and have front and rear lockers installed. Almost decided to pass on the fronts and put the money towards a winch but my testosterone kept me from making such a practical decision.

File_001 (1).jpeg

When they asked where I wanted the switches... I thought the left side of the dash, right above the hood release would be the easiest.... OR... tucked away where the ash tray was. I think they couldn't pass on the opportunity to put them somewhere inconspicuous for that James Bond look... glad they were willing to go to the trouble to mount them there! :)

File_001 (2).jpeg

File_000 (4).jpeg

Last edited: