2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FRD88

Reaction score
Looks like I will be finally getting my Rancho Quicklifts and wheel tire combo installed soon (hopefully all done by end of this week). I decided on Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they arrived last week so I mocked one up on a wheel and rolled it next to my Expy. Ill post more pics once all of it is installed.

upload_2018-10-15_10-45-39.png upload_2018-10-15_10-45-49.png

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like I will be finally getting my Rancho Quicklifts and wheel tire combo installed soon (hopefully all done by end of this week). I decided on Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they arrived last week so I mocked one up on a wheel and rolled it next to my Expy. Ill post more pics once all of it is installed.

View attachment 27204 View attachment 27205

That's going to look NICE! The wheels match nicely to the EB trim. Can't wait to see it lifted with wheels and tires! :)

FRD88

Reaction score
It was a long time coming but I finally have lift kit, wheels, and tires installed! The Rancho Quicklift system was super easy to install but wasn't a big lift and after all installed it was raised about 2" all around. Tires are 285/70/17. I will be headed out antelope hunting the rest of the week, hopefully I can get some better pictures while I'm out.

upload_2018-10-23_8-42-4.png

FRD88

Reaction score
Although no shots were fired we had fun. The Expedition did great and the little extra clearance was noticeable. Last year on the same rode I was rubbing bottom way more than this year. I just barely rubbed once and I got a little high sided for a sec going through the worst spot (picture below doesn't give justice). I didn't notice that I took pictures with the rear on a bump making it look like the rear sits lower.

upload_2018-11-1_9-12-18.png upload_2018-11-1_9-12-29.pngupload_2018-11-1_9-13-12.png upload_2018-11-1_9-12-2.png

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although no shots were fired we had fun. The Expedition did great and the little extra clearance was noticeable. Last year on the same rode I was rubbing bottom way more than this year. I just barely rubbed once and I got a little high sided for a sec going through the worst spot (picture below doesn't give justice). I didn't notice that I took pictures with the rear on a bump making it look like the rear sits lower.

Great pictures! That's pretty country. Do you ever get out there during the summer? I'm imagining a warm summer evening, a clear star filled sky. Makes me think of central/eastern Washington/Oregon. I've been wanting to do some overlanding

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Any plans to add a winch? It's on my list but have too many college bills at the moment.

FRD88

Reaction score
I also have a large chunk of college bills, so I feel your pain. I don't have any plans to add a winch, would probably be a good idea but the front bumper wasn't built to have one mounted.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took her in for another road force balance today. She started shaking around 60-65mph a week or two ago. The shop said they found two tires that were out of balance and had to get turned on the wheels a bit. She rides much, much better. Only thing is, this seems to be a reoccurring problem. Not sure if I'm throwing weights when I hit big bumps or what. I should take pictures of the weight setup on all four and compare when she start vibrating again. When I hit big bump or a small pot hole it hits HARD! Always makes me cringe.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... When I hit big bump or a small pot hole it hits HARD! Always makes me cringe.

Thought I would add a note on this...

Went driving up some forest roads a while back. Gravel roads, really potted and rough. Decided to air down a bit. The first tire i checked was at 49psi so decided to take it down to 40. Checked the other tires and they were all at 39 so took everything down to 36. Not much of a change on those but she road MUCH nicer. Kept them that way all the way home and noticed how my fillings no longer got knocked out when I hit a bump. Did a little research on these tires and they're actually right at the recommended pressure for the load, which (by no surprise) is about what's on the door jam as the recommended tire pressure (35psi). Have kept them at 36psi.