2003+ Ford Expedition & Lincoln Navigator Air Ride Suspension Down Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaTut

Reaction score
Great video.

I started having problems on my 2004 Lincoln Navigator as well. At first the compressor went out, I'm sure due to it running too much. I replaced the compressor, and tracked the problem to the front passenger side air shock leaking. I put an entire new assembly in, including the solenoid. It still didn't work, so I pulled the height sensor, which was stiff. I've now replaced it as well, and my vehicle is still riding low on the passenger side. Does the system need a "reboot" somehow? I can hear the compressor coming on. My other height sensor moves fairly freely, but I'm wondering if I need to replace it as well. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Last edited:

FUBAR2208

Reaction score
Hey guys

So i just replaced two front air bags with struts in my 2004 expedition....the back is jacked up really high and the front is still low.

The compressor runs just fine and was also replaced when i replaced the air bags/struts.

Is there a way to drain my air bags and "reset" them and let them fill up again evenly?

Or does this sound like a air suspension height sensor issue?

So basically.....front bags were leaking and i just kept driving it until the compressor went out....ordered two bags with struts and an air compressor....installed everything smoothly.....but the back is jacked up real high and the front is still low.

When i start the car the compressor runs for a couple of minutes like it's getting to the correct level and then cuts off....but the front is still low and the back is jacked up really high.

So, can i drain or "reset" all 4 bags and then let it refill.....or is it a height sensor?

Let me know guys.

Thanks,
FUBAR

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
Did You Figure Out How To Reset?

When i start the car the compressor runs for a couple of minutes like it's getting to the correct level and then cuts off....but the front is still low and the back is jacked up really high.

So, can i drain or "reset" all 4 bags and then let it refill.....or is it a height sensor?

Did you ever get your air suspension reset/re-leveled? I'm having a similar issue with my 2004 XLT after having the rusty height sensors replaced when one morning my Expy was sitting down on the frame and the air bags wouldn't inflate. Today my Expy rides with its front at a normal height and functioning correctly, but its butt rides really high in the air. I'm hoping there's some way to reset/relevel that doesn't require more $$$. Our horses are complaining because they're getting tired of riding in an uphill BP trailer because my already-serious hitch drop can't bring the ball down low enough to level the trailer front-to-back.

Thanks.

...Karl

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just came across a mention of a Navigator that lowers & raises for entry. How much does it drop the vehicle? I’m disabled and I was already looking into air ride for adjustability or permanent lowering of the suspension. My 2008 Expedition King Ranch already had the rear air springs swapped out for coils before I bought it. The check air suspension warning is on in the cluster. What are my option to help me get in and out of this Expedition by way of lowering it but very important is keeping a smooth ride? I’m in severe pain and can’t take a stiff ride.

I’m thinking I may want to go back to rear air suspension. All I’m finding aftermarket is heavy duty 4x4 air lift kits.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just came across a mention of a Navigator that lowers & raises for entry. How much does it drop the vehicle? I’m disabled and I was already looking into air ride for adjustability or permanent lowering of the suspension. My 2008 Expedition King Ranch already had the rear air springs swapped out for coils before I bought it. The check air suspension warning is on in the cluster. What are my option to help me get in and out of this Expedition by way of lowering it but very important is keeping a smooth ride? I’m in severe pain and can’t take a stiff ride.

I’m thinking I may want to go back to rear air suspension. All I’m finding aftermarket is heavy duty 4x4 air lift kits.

strutmasters.com

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if they only changed the rear you'll need to do fronts as well for softer ride...i loved the ride when it worked...floated

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It drops a few inches, it is quite a noticeable difference getting in it vs the expedition. When it's not raining and cold I can snap a side by side pic of them next week for you if you want along w measurements to the height it is to step up into it. My wife is 5'1 and was super excited it had the power running boards and lowered itself.

Before you spend thousands doing a custom air ride setup on your 08 have you just looked into buying a navigator that is ready to do the job instead? Odds are whatever you can get for your expy along with the difference of what the mods cost would probably put you into one and there would be no surprises that often follow custom modifications. Used, from when I was shopping around last year they were fairly similarly priced....couple thousand or so difference difference most unless one was just exceptionally perfect and low mileage. I was after either an expy or navigator and looked at probably 100+ online, local, etc.

Last edited: