2003 Ford Expedition Trans Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrewSkizzle

Reaction score
Hey Everybody im having some strange transmission problems hoping someone knows the cause, Ive included a link so you guys can see exactly what its doing but for the ones who wanna keep reading ima try to explain ok so when I accelerate and I let off the gas at about 30mph then try to accelerate again it slips now if I accelerate hard from a stop it will speed up to 50-60mph no slipping or anything but starts slipping at 50-60 until i get to below 30mph, now heres where things get stranger if I turn the O/D off and accelerate normally or hard its no slipping I can let off the gas and get back on no problem until i get to about 70 when it should be going into 4th gear and it wont go into 4th gear no matter what i do. Now ive check the fluid its fine no foam its not burnt, or anything and i used FORscan and im NOT throwing any codes, all f this info is demonstrated in the video so hope somebody can help me thanx

TexEx

Reaction score
Hey Everybody im having some strange transmission problems hoping someone knows the cause, Ive included a link so you guys can see exactly what its doing but for the ones who wanna keep reading ima try to explain ok so when I accelerate and I let off the gas at about 30mph then try to accelerate again it slips now if I accelerate hard from a stop it will speed up to 50-60mph no slipping or anything but starts slipping at 50-60 until i get to below 30mph, now heres where things get stranger if I turn the O/D off and accelerate normally or hard its no slipping I can let off the gas and get back on no problem until i get to about 70 when it should be going into 4th gear and it wont go into 4th gear no matter what i do. Now ive check the fluid its fine no foam its not burnt, or anything and i used FORscan and im NOT throwing any codes, all f this info is demonstrated in the video so hope somebody can help me thanx
Have you seen this video from Brian at fOrd Makuloco? This a problem with a 04 f-150...same transmission & if course 5.4 l3v..hope this helps..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TexEx

Reaction score
That 4th gear issue looked spot on! If you can get it up on jacks it makes it tons easier..ive changed the trans fluid & laid down a 4 × 8 piece of plywood, with card board & a bus tub to catch..keeps driveway from staining & tempers from flaring[emoji106], its messy.. at least you'll be able to take a look inside..Good luck!

Zach Dean

Reaction score

So I think I can help, I am experiencing about the same thing in my 06 King Ranch with the 5.4. When from a stop my car does not shudder or slip when I let off at about 40-60 mph and get back on again it will shudder and "slip" when I let off and give it more it will shift and go. Anyways I feel like this is the same thing your are experiencing more or less, its you TORQUE CONVERTER straight up. Thats what mine is and I am getting it fixed this weekend! I hope this helps or narrows it down.

The Trans in our cars are beefy and shouldn't need a rebuild check out the Torque Converter first!

OP
OP
D

DrewSkizzle

Reaction score
That 4th gear issue looked spot on! If you can get it up on jacks it makes it tons easier..ive changed the trans fluid & laid down a 4 × 8 piece of plywood, with card board & a bus tub to catch..keeps driveway from staining & tempers from flaring[emoji106], its messy.. at least you'll be able to take a look inside..Good luck!

Ok i have some jack stands but i was thinkin ramps but if jackstands work fine ill do that (wish I had those 2 lift things you put on each side and lift it up)

OP
OP
D

DrewSkizzle

Reaction score
So I think I can help, I am experiencing about the same thing in my 06 King Ranch with the 5.4. When from a stop my car does not shudder or slip when I let off at about 40-60 mph and get back on again it will shudder and "slip" when I let off and give it more it will shift and go. Anyways I feel like this is the same thing your are experiencing more or less, its you TORQUE CONVERTER straight up. Thats what mine is and I am getting it fixed this weekend! I hope this helps or narrows it down.

The Trans in our cars are beefy and shouldn't need a rebuild check out the Torque Converter first!
Ok thanx ill look into to that

Zach Dean

Reaction score
Also I forgot, a total way to make sure you're not actually slipping a gear, turn Over Drive OFF and drive it, then see if it slips if not, then its for sure the torque converter

CaptainKrunch

Reaction score

I know the transmission in my 2003 expy was s h i t. 4r70w. Had to rebuild at about 86k. Not sure what they put in a 2006 but I doubt they are much better.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the OD issue around 215k the symptom is different than what you are experiencing from your video. When the snap ring broke I simply had no OD, it would just rev in OD but 1st 2nd & 3rd worked perfectly. With 215k on the trans, I had it rebuilt, and just for reference the clutches had almost no material left on them (though I had no slipping of any kind) so it was good I had it done. One disappointment was that I requested when being rebuilt that I did not want a rebuilt torque converter but they forgot and put in a rebuilt and I had issues with it so I would go new.

Side note: If doing over again I would probably just buy a new trans (like Monster) not much more money. That's just food for thought