2003 Ford Expedition Trans Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach Dean

Reaction score
I know the transmission in my 2003 expy was s h i t. 4r70w. Had to rebuild at about 86k. Not sure what they put in a 2006 but I doubt they are much better.

LOL yeah based on my issues lately with the Truck not much better and mine didn't even make it to 200K before it needed trans work, I currently have 161K on the car. But what can we do? We love em'!

Zach Dean

Reaction score
I had the OD issue around 215k the symptom is different than what you are experiencing from your video. When the snap ring broke I simply had no OD, it would just rev in OD but 1st 2nd & 3rd worked perfectly. With 215k on the trans, I had it rebuilt, and just for reference the clutches had almost no material left on them (though I had no slipping of any kind) so it was good I had it done. One disappointment was that I requested when being rebuilt that I did not want a rebuilt torque converter but they forgot and put in a rebuilt and I had issues with it so I would go new.

Side note: If doing over again I would probably just buy a new trans (like Monster) not much more money. That's just food for thought

I think I got lucky, but a rebuild SHOULD come with a new torque convertor, when I requested a torque convertor replacement my mechanic said he'd do a full rebuild and get a new torque convertor, maybe that was just my circumstance?