2003 Lowering Kit Install Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djljr

Reaction score
2003, 2WD with 65K on the clock; considering a lower kit and have some questions. Anyone that has R/Rd front/rear springs, shocks and/or sway bars is qualified to respond.

1. This looks like an 8-12 hour job for a first timer; is it?
2. Double wishbone w/coil overs, so the process looks like remove shocks, separate spring from shock, install new spring on shock and reinstall shock? or, purchase a kit with shocks, springs, etc all assembled and replace as a unit.
3. What tool is necessary to decompress/compress shock R/R spring?
4. Shocks should be replaced at 65K? They seem to be working fine.
5. Do the shorter lowering spring require a shorter shock?
6. Don't have a service manual but will get one; which is best? Ford? Chilton? or other?

Last edited:

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shock replacement all depends on how and where you drive. Some people replace the stock shocks right away because they don't perform very well, but normally the stock shock has reduced performance after 60k miles. When lowering you have to replace the stock shocks whether they are worn are not. You can find truck shocks that are made for lowered applications. If you don't have all the tools to do it already, you'll probably save yourself a lot of hassle to have it professionally installed. You will have to take it somewhere to have the camber and alignment tested anyway. I recommend eibach lowering springs and bilstein shocks.
Click here for service manual

Last edited:

Bow Down

Reaction score
I have a 03 XLT, I dropped mine with the belltech 3814 at around 60,000. Now I work as tech for dealership so I had a lift and a air spring compressor. But you can do it your driveway, If I was you removing the the spring and strut assembly as one and marking them. Such as l/f ,r/f etc. Then take them to shop and have them seperate the springs and install the lowering springs. Then you can install them as a completed set. You don't need to replace the strut unless it's leaking or weak. The rear strut is going to take time because, the 3 upper mounting bolts your going to have use a wrench to remove them. Because if the space issue, and the lower mounting bolt is pretty big so you have to buy one. If you have access to air tools it will go alot faster, but just using hand tools it will take awhile. I suggest having several long breaker bars too. I also have the rear belltech sway bar. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to do it in the shop. Good Luck

Attachments

• new 1.jpg
    new 1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 6,098
  • new 3.jpg
    new 3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 8,321
  • Multimed.jpg
    Multimed.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,817
OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
smoothride and bowdown-thanks for the input. Eibach kit is in the garage and the Bilsteins are in transit. I have two Harleys and build Harley engines so I have good set of tools, manual and air, air compressor, shop press, etc. but time is my problem. I have an '02 FLHT on the table lift now that needs cams installed, so I will probably out source the install.

Do either of you have any idea what I should expect to pay, excluding alignment to install the Eibach kit? The struts look like coilovers but not sure. Either way, you have to remove the OEM strut/sprig assembly, disassemble, reassemble with the lowering springs and either the OEM shock or the new Bilstein, so there should be no extra shop hours for shock. Or remove the strust from the OEM spring assembly, R/R the spring assembly and install the Bilstein instead of the OEM strut. So, the cost to change springs should cover the swapping of OEM for Bilstein shocks. One shop has quoted $280 to install the Eibach kit but wanted to charge additional for the shocks, if that was a separate operation. He did agree that if the shocks were simply changed in the course of installing the springs, there would be no extra charge.

Last edited:

Bow Down

Reaction score
Since you got the lowering springs and new struts, put the together yourself. Then all the shop has to do is swap out the complete strut/spring assembly. Ask the shop for estimate, bet it will be lower. Since the labor is swapping them out, instead of removing and installing the springs. The Eibach is 1.6 and 1.8 right?? Mine is 2" all around, but should still look good. The alignment will be 4 wheel, do you have big rims? Mine was $100, no charge for the bigger rims, but some places do. Then if you need a alignment kit thats extra too. Call around I did and got a good price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
Bow Down,
Thanks. Good idea and I had the same thought but figured there was hardware from the OEM strut/spring assembly that I would need to assemble the new strut/spring assembly. If all the hardware to assemble comse with the struts, your approach will work.

Four point alignment at the local dealer is $129.99, so a little more but the alignment guy at this dealer is very good. Camber kits, from the dealer, are $75/each and I expect I will need at least one.

Wheels are 19" so no geometry problems there.

enphluence

Reaction score
Lowering

I have a 2005 2WD Limited Expedition and am looking into lowering it. I am unsure of what shocks/struts to get as well as Springs?

I have looked at the Eibach Kit, but that only lowers it 1.5 in the back and it actually sits much higher already.

I have looked on various websites, but it seems there is not mauch in the way for the older Expys. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the most legit drop you can get is with the belltech kit which lowers it 2/2.. I have the eibach springs and had them cut, my truck is a 4wd so i don't know if it sits higher but i got a 3"drop all around

enphluence

Reaction score
Lowering

I looked at Belltechs Website and saw they do offer the Spring Kit Without Shocks. Kit 929 for 366.75 (2-3" Front and a 2" Rear).

Which Springs/Struts should I use? Also the part number.

Thanks

323joey

Reaction score
I have a 03 XLT, I dropped mine with the belltech 3814 at around 60,000. Now I work as tech for dealership so I had a lift and a air spring compressor. But you can do it your driveway, If I was you removing the the spring and strut assembly as one and marking them. Such as l/f ,r/f etc. Then take them to shop and have them seperate the springs and install the lowering springs. Then you can install them as a completed set. You don't need to replace the strut unless it's leaking or weak. The rear strut is going to take time because, the 3 upper mounting bolts your going to have use a wrench to remove them. Because if the space issue, and the lower mounting bolt is pretty big so you have to buy one. If you have access to air tools it will go alot faster, but just using hand tools it will take awhile. I suggest having several long breaker bars too. I also have the rear belltech sway bar. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to do it in the shop. Good Luck

Is this what you installed?Screenshot_2017-11-27-15-06-50.png