2003 Navigator got stuck in 4 low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday, I noticed something caught under the truck when I was leaving work. It turned out to be a piece of plastic from the road wrapped around a harness, nothing serious. I got in and started it up. Put in neutral as usual to switch to 4 low which happened as it should. I did this as it calls on the air suspension to raise to its max ride height so I could easily reach up under it without jacking it up.

i Removed the plastic and when I went to switch back to 2H I got an odd beep, advance track shut off, Trac control turned off and it wouldn't disengage. The advance trac/to disable I'm pretty sure is normal for 4low, I've yet to use it in this vehicle. 4H has worked just fine. I spent the better part of a half hour, changing modes and slowly moving forward and back. It suddenly disengaged as I had come to terms about calling for a tow. It seemed to do so with a little force. I was sitting still with my foot on the break and in drive.

Any idea what may cause that odd release or getting stuck to begin with? It has never presented any issue before in A4wd or 4H in the snow last year. Our expy of the same year switches in and out virtually silently other than the typical relay clock. I was able to drive home about 25 miles just fine and I'm off the next couple days. I haven't tried to switch it back in just yet but would like confidence in the upcoming season that 4wd is available.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking thru my digital manual, could it possibly something as simple as a/the shift sensor(s) on the tranny/transfer case? Out of adjustment/sensor bad or corroded connection??

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 95 F-150 getting stuck in 4-low. After many hrs of diagnosis and process of elimination from suspecting the shift motor, neutral start switch, 4x4 shift module, and wiring harness, I finally figured it had to be the transfer case speed sensor. I was reluctant to change it from the beginning because of my Ol Ford mechanic buddy telling me that he had never seen one go bad in all his years at the Dealership, well mine was the exception. I found one online and installed it and the problem was solved. In my F-150 it’s located in the tail shaft housing of the T-case. Not sure any of this info applies to your 03 Navi, but don’t rule out the speed sensor in the T-Case if yours has one. The sensor is there to give a signal to the shift module to keep it from shifting into 4-low at speed. It also needs to read results from this sensor to shift out of 4-low.I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it continues to work, no problem. Was the plastic around near the transfer case motor?