2003 steering issue. Dead spots?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After sitting much of the winter my 2003 has gotten hard to steer. Almost seems like their are "dead spots" when turning the wheel in either direction. Fluid level is good. This is my beach truck so I dont drive it far or often , but I'd like to address this as it's a pain especially at low speeds. Any advice on where to begin is greatly appreciated

Plati

Reaction score
Sounds like the classic "lower steering shaft" problem. Guess it depends on what you mean by "dead spots". Stiff and binding while turning? I paid $412 to get mine replaced, probably could have done it myself. Temp fix is penetrating oil but really needs to be replaced if thats it. Its the knuckle you can see looking down inside hood.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the u joints on the steering shaft. Spray them down with WD-40 and see if that loosens it up.

OP
OP
jim midd

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. I read about that affecting f150s and such so was just gonna go ahead and try to replace but when I looked on Amazon and rock auto I didn't see one listed so I thought maybe the espy used a different set up. I crawl under in a bit and check it out. How involved Is swapping this out if it turns out to be the problem?

OP
OP
jim midd

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like that's what it is. Is this a big a PITA as it looks to change. I couldn't even see it from under the truck! Any guess as to how long I can just spraying it down as needed. Like I said, it's an old truck that I only use on the beach. I think I drove it 4k miles all last year and that's above average.

Oh, and thanks for the quick responses. This is a great group

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 07 would do that and I could spray it and it was good for a few months in the summer. In the winter i would need to spray it every few weeks. The problem is if the u joints are coming apart and the bearings start falling out.

OP
OP
jim midd

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you fix it yourself? If so how involved was it? I like this truck but it seems like everything in the engine compartment is so tight. It drives me crazy

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you fix it yourself? If so how involved was it? I like this truck but it seems like everything in the engine compartment is so tight. It drives me crazy
It's not too bad, here's a video of the replacement

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was just gummed up and needed sprayed. I looked into replacing it if I had to and it looked like it's a bolt on the top and bottom. If I remember right you need to go through the driver side wheel well with extensions to get to the bottom one. The problem was the shaft was dealer only and not cheap.

OP
OP
jim midd

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
. The problem was the shaft was dealer only and not cheap.

That explains why i didn't see one on Rock auto or anywhere else. Thanks. Is it possible mine just seized from sitting all winter. Fingers crossed , lol