2003 transmission drain/fill question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick Boswell

Reaction score
2003 178k miles. I'm planning a long road trip this month. I want to to a drain fill as I do on my 03 Honda Odyssey. On the Honda, every 4k miles, I drain 3-4 quarts and then add new fluid to achieve the correct level. I purchased this Expedition back in May of this year with 177k miles with it is a one-owner vehicle. Since that time, I have hauled a 4000# camper on a 300-mile round trip. Everything worked fine and the vehicle had plenty of power for the pull. However, there was a clunk sound when the vehicle upshifted but no loss of pull or slipping of the transmission. I really don't expect to do a drain will correct this but I won't hurt. The fluid does not appear to have ever been excessively hot and the level was still full upon my return home.

smith627

Reaction score
Unless the previous owner installed a drain plug in the transmission pan, you won't be able to do an easy Honda drain and fill. I have an 04 Expedition and a Honda Accord and Pilot and the Hondas are a piece of cake compared to my Expedition. I put a drain plug in my Exp trans pan to make it easier to change the fluid and there is a filter inside to change each time you remove the pan.
I always end up draining out a little over 5 quarts and use Mercon V tranny fluid.
Expect to make a mess removing the trans pan without a drain plug if you DIY or take it to a shop and have no idea what that costs because I have DIY's trans fluid changes since new.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Long time ago I installed a PML aluminum deep pan ( 9685-2 ) on my Expy's tranny. It's made fluid changes so much easier and holds 2 quarts extra fluid. If you're going to pull the pan and change the filter anyway, it will make your future maintenance much easier and way less mess. I also added a tranny temp gauge when I did the install but that's just a nice to have thing for towing and overall information, it's not an essential thing. The deep pan does not hang below the crossmember, and it has a drain plug for easy fluid changes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmissi...W-New-Heavy-Duty-As-Cast-Aluminum-/8075010755

ZuM6dT.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 should be the last year with a removeable drain plug. If it's a 4r100, it also has a small bolt, 10mm I think to drain torque converter. Crawl under it, if you see drain plug, your lucky. As far as making a mess, if you have to remove total pan to drain, use a cement mixing pan. I got mine at hardware store. Transferring the fluid into jugs to transport, takes a little patience, but a small price to pay for a clean driveway on removal.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rick Boswell

Rick Boswell

Reaction score
Long time ago I installed a PML aluminum deep pan ( 9685-2 ) on my Expy's tranny. It's made fluid changes so much easier and holds 2 quarts extra fluid. If you're going to pull the pan and change the filter anyway, it will make your future maintenance much easier and way less mess. I also added a tranny temp gauge when I did the install but that's just a nice to have thing for towing and overall information, it's not an essential thing. The deep pan does not hang below the crossmember, and it has a drain plug for easy fluid changes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmissi...W-New-Heavy-Duty-As-Cast-Aluminum-/8075010755

ZuM6dT.jpg
Thanks for this information. I plan on taking my truck into my mechanic and I will be taking this pan with me. After that, I can do mine on thing.

JB1258

Reaction score
you should drop the pan and change the fluid that also will let you see if there is any metal in the pan and be sure to change the filter.I have a friend who worked for a company that did Ford rebuild on transmissions and he said drop the pan change the filter is the only way to go .I also like the aftermarket pan with the drain plug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360