2004 5.4L - A/C System Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can share my experience, for what it's worth... front AC cold but would get warm now and again. Rear was just blowing warm air. The hissing was a frequent occurrence... may actually still be, don't remember. Read a lot, seemed like the rear expansion valve was a common failure. I took her into a shop, described the problem, told then the rear expansion valve was suspect. Picked it up after work. The rear expansion valve was bad. They added freon, added dye. Probably not in that order. Was blowing nice and cold front and back... for a day. Front started getting warm every now and then, again. Took it back. They checked the system and found dye at the evaporator. Replaced the evaporator and refilled freon. Only charged me for the evaporator and install as part of the AC repair warranty. I was a happy and satisfied customer :).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear expansion valve is probably his problem, but furthur diagnostic is needed. Or he can try swapping in the part, refill r134, and hope for the best. We had a neat setup at our cab company here in San Francisco that could use air to pressurise, and see if system was air tight, before wasting freon. Worked pretty good. Didn't need dyes.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wasn't me on the A/C diagnosis. Their is a valve and washers in the rear that go bad, I think that's what Stamps referring to. You have to pull apart passenger rear panels to access. You may have to have shop at least withdraw your freon, and possibly do repair.We warned you before you bought this Suv to have dealer fix all the loose ends before you took delivery. Well maybe that warranty they gave you will work.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Wonder if the 60 days has run out yet....