2004 Expedition Timing Chain Tensioner Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen - 2003 - 2006' started by MattP1976, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:47 AM.

1. MattP1976

MattP1976 Member

I have an 04 Expedition with a 4.6 swapped from an 04 Police Interceptor. I replaced the chains, guides, and tensioners when we did the swap. I used aftermarket tensioners. I did NOT replace the oil pump. The problem now is that after the vehicle warms up, I'm hearing what sounds like time chain rattle from the front cover area. Seems to be the passenger side. I took the belt off to eliminate pulley noise to verify. Is it possible my oil pump is not pressuring up the tensioners enough? Is it possible that plastic material from the original guides made it past the oil pump pickup screen and may be blocking the passage? What tensioners and oil pump do you recommend?

I'm about the pull the pan and front cover to retrace my steps on the timing job.

Thanks!

2. John Stephan

John Stephan Full Access Members

If you had broken guides and never dropped the pan, its guaranteed to be partially blocked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1955moose likes this.
  3. MattP1976

MattP1976 Member

I pulled the pan and cleaned out the pieces. I also took extra care to clean out the screen on the pickup tube.

John Stephan likes this.
  4. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

Best bet to check oil pump, is screw in a pressure gauge with any adapter's you need straight to oil pressure switch port. Just because you cleaned pickup screen doesn't mean pump isn't tired or failing. A lot of the early 3 valve motors had oil pump problems. A Melling replacement is usually what most here recommend. But check your pressure first to see if it's within spec's.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk