2004 Ford Exp. Eddie Bauer 5.4ltr Ac & check battery charge system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Akela

Reaction score
I think I may be answering my own question, or atleast needling that way. Battery is only 3-4 months old. Alternator is 6-7 months old. Recently began using the AC. After use, shut off the vehicle. Run errands. Start the expedition, and now the battery light comes on and the message center reads Check Battery Charge System. After running & driving for 5-10 minutes the message goes off as well as Battery light. Windows also seem to be running slower, but this vehicle has been nothing but a jerk so I just chalked it up to the vehicles poor attitude haha
This message only comes up when the AC has been used... I'm going go in today and have Battery & alternator checked. Thought I would check with you guys in the meantime. TIA

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the windows are slower you may need to check your battery cables for corrosion and loose fit.
Do you know what brand and amp output alternator was installed ? The alternator communicates with the PCM . Unless you have factory Navigation package you should be using the 110 amp alternator. If the 135 amp alternator is erroneously installed you will get these error messages.

DJ04

Reaction score
I have checked the VIN at Ford parts and I have not seen the 135 amp alternator called out. I have an 04 Eddie Bauer, bought used; it has eveyghint on it including Factory Nav (It is integrated into the radio system, lots of instructions on how to use it in the owner manual etc. etc.) I read many times that Factory Nav needs a 135 amp alternator and Ford parts inquiry says not so. What's going on?