2004 Ford Expedition - Best Recommendations to improve night time driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jthrall76

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2004 with 174k on it. I want to love it for at least another couple years.

When I drive at night and especially in the snow, the factory headlamps and fog lights are not great. I have already ordered yellow LED foglamps (9145), that I will put in the truck. Am interested if other folks have upgraded their headlamps ( 9005,9006) To LED and did they need ballast, which bulbs, how long did it take, etc, Mostly interested in snow visibility. Thanks!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How are the lens on your headlamps ? Still clear, not glazed over, right ?
I've tried HIDs, LEDs, and found the Beamtech Fanless LEDs to offer the most compact package and best beam pattern. Installation is as simple as replacing the bulbs. You will need to pull the headlight housing out just like you would if you were replacing the bulb any other time. Order a pair of 9006 and 9005 on Amazon.

Beamtech Fanless LEDs on Amazon

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never once have I found my 2004 Expedition to lack light in front of it driving at night. However, due to the HID and LED headlights now days I wear sunglasses to drive at night now.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2004 with 174k on it. I want to love it for at least another couple years.

When I drive at night and especially in the snow, the factory headlamps and fog lights are not great. I have already ordered yellow LED foglamps (9145), that I will put in the truck. Am interested if other folks have upgraded their headlamps ( 9005,9006) To LED and did they need ballast, which bulbs, how long did it take, etc, Mostly interested in snow visibility. Thanks!
I've heard Fahren is really good.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd have to agree on the factory lights in bith our 03 being pretty bright assuming housings are in good shape and aimed properly I have no issues seeing 1/4 mile up the county road that heads to our house, snow visibility has also never been an issue, even with the insane amount of deer that like to dart out. There are no street lights and they get the job done. I'm running silverstar halogen bulbs in factory housings.

From the couple I've seen running around here with expeditions and explorers of this era the LED bulbs are horrible for other drivers as the glare is intense with the reflector design on our years as it really causes the light to scatter eue to how the diode is positioned and the direction light is emitted. Some brands are better than others in this regard but it's an issue for most.

I will say the fog lights could do more but I deal with fog constantly due to driving through and area that dips very low where there is a large reservoir nearby and the road is always foggy to the point no amount of extra lights will help and I just slow down like everyone else.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Beamtech also and love them!! Have mine aimed down a hair but they are great. The Beamtechs were fairly easy to install & are going on 3 years. I'm in Memphis & most people drive with high beams on for some reason. My lowbeams are Very sufficient over the originals. Will replace headlight fixtures next time I replace bulbs. Newer/better replacements coming out all the time.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2001 and the plastic housings are yellowed need polishing. Not too badly, but enough to reduce the beam. I am planning a repaint and after that I may buy new housings.

There is a Ford aftermarket company LMR who sells various lighting upgrades. I am going to buy the relay harness they sell for my generation that plugs into the existing headlamp sockets and provides DC directly from the battery instead of via the switch and fuse block. It is basically a plug in affair with a fly lead and fuse for the battery and ground. It will raise the voltage a volt or so and that can make all the difference in light output and color.

I am staying with Halogen because I have always preferred them and the aftermarket LED deals have focus issues and create electrical noise.

I am also considering some Hella rally style Halogen driving lamps on the grill to supplement.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LED lightbulbs. I have the Fahren in my 08 and 17 Expy. They have fans to keep them cool. Driving at night is much improved and people don't flash their high beams at me so I will say I am not blinding anyone.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought the stock bulbs to be somewhat lacking so I did a minor upgrade and switched out the main headlight bulbs to the Sylvania super white or a bright bulb or something like that and I was really surprised at how much better they were over stock so much so I also changed out the driving lights to same type. Probably 30% better (brighter, whiter) than stock

So for me when considering the cost and all that I read about the hit or miss on the LED and complete headlight upgrades cost I am completely satisfied.