2004 rear axle removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Bruder

Reaction score
Upon searching the depths of the internet I still can't figure out if I need to open the diff or not to remove the axle what started out as a wheel bearing turned into so much more do these CV axles pry out like an explore or is there a c clip inside?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes you will. Theirs a small bolt you'll have to remove, along with a pin, to remove the axle. Theirs a few great videos online, that walk you through it. Be sure to put dealer additive back inside if you drain fluid along with gear oil. That is if you have limited slip diff. Check your build, but probably do. Always good to change out 75-140 oil at this time.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Andrew Bruder

Reaction score
Thank you..another question then since the diff cover is shoved up against the frame I got a lot the bolts around it off then the 2 nuts in the middle is it necessary to remove those studs

Edit. They are CV shafts so I wasn't really sure

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to remove 10Bolts, and be able to move what's in your way. Do you have air suspension? I've personally never done your year/vehicle, but their are things you should and shouldn't do removing a CV axle on your year. Check it out online, or get the repair CD. You stated you have been searching forever. I keyed in removal of 2004 expedition rear axle, and a bunch came up.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Bruder

Reaction score
Most of the things that come up are for an exolorer I did find a PDF someone posted

Attachments

• Expy Half Shaft Removal.pdf
    524.6 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
A

Andrew Bruder

Reaction score
Well it's out I'd like to thank you for your help you were semi correct the years before 2003 did in fact require that procedure.

I accidentally separated the axle so there's no need to do that however if you get behind it and pry outward the axle has a spring clip and it pops out took a little talking to with a 10 lb sledge to get the axle out of the bearing and bearing out of the hub after but as a last resort the sledge was useful.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good deal. Like they said working on old Harley's. 2 tools you need, a hammer, and a bigger hammer! Thanks for reporting back, I figured if you didn't figure it out, someone here would have chimed in. Do yourself a favor, order a repair CD on-line, your going to need it again. Print the things your going to use the most. It will save you from scrambling for info in the future. Moose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze