2004 Stuck in Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pantera2077

Reaction score
Good morning.

Title says it.
Did some searching and found a few threads about this.

Car starts and runs.
Column gear select.
Brake lights work - Can the switch still be bad if I have brake lights?
Neutral safety switch??? Pulled lever off and still does not move on the column.
Some threads talk about an override button under the column. I certainly do not see it and the only plug under the column cover goes back to the firewall.

A thread said shift interlock solenoid and there were some videos on YouTube on that, but they were years up to 2003. Searching RockAuto does not show a part for a shift interlock solenoid for a 2004.

Any thoughts?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
There will be a way to momentarily over ride the shift interlock solenoid, which your truck should have with a common tool. The instructions to do this should be in the owner's manual. Third generation trucks have a small removable cover on the shifter that's removed and reveals a hole to poke a screwdriver.

Of course if you're parked on a hill or against a curb the parking sprang may be jammed in the transmission also.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The override button is directly below the ignition switch.
On the '04 there's a round rubber plug covering the bypass button on the underside of the steering column. The procedure is described on page 215 of your owners manual. But basically remove that plug and stick your finger up there and push the release down, put the shifter in neutral or whatever gear you need.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04exdog3e.pdf

This video describes replacing the brake pedal safety switch. It's either a blown fuse (but you said your brake lights work....) or this pedal switch is bad, or the actuator itself.

Neutral Safety Switch ....
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...5PTIwMDMmdD1lZGRpZS1iYXVlciZlPTUtNGwtdjgtZ2Fz

Brake Shift Interlock Actuator Assembly https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-actuator-assembly-5l1z3z719a

c78f83771ee86dd9b7499ac1f2cf6182.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pantera2077

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.
I have no idea where this release button is under there. However, sounds like I need to replace the brake switch.
Hopefully, that will solve the issue.
IMG_7388.JPG IMG_7389.JPG IMG_7391.JPG IMG_7388.JPG IMG_7389.JPG IMG_7391.JPG

OP
OP
P

Pantera2077

Reaction score
Well, it is not the brake light switch either as I replaced that just now.
So what is holding the column shifter from moving?
Other vehicles have a shift interlock solenoid. As I mentioned in my first post there are videos of removal and replacement of this on the steering column of a 2003 Expedition.
I do not see this part for a 2004 and later....

OP
OP
P

Pantera2077

Reaction score
I cannot really see what I am supposed to be pulling / pushing for the override. I have had my body under the dash and just don't see / feel this "button."
So I have not been able to move the lever and the brake switch did not help.

Thanks for all the help.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They used the same actuator from 2003-2007. So it's gotta be up there somewhere. It's just a little button on the back end of the actuator, just like in the video above. You can easily reach it and depress it with one finger through that hole there. It pushes in about a quarter inch and releases the shifter. I just went out and tried it on my Expy and it was pretty easy. With your palm up you have no problem feeling it there through that hole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pantera2077

Reaction score
Got the override button and can get it out of Park. THANK YOU.
Your description was perfect. Not sure why I did not feel that before.
Looks like I need the $250 Brake Shift Interlock Actuator Assembly.

Will have to figure out how to install.
Might be a few days as we are supposed to get 5" of snow tonight and car is outside.