2004 Sub and Amp install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got a Kicker box with two 12s and an amp. Just wondering what's the best place to wire the remote line from the amp to. Is it best to wire to the fuse box? If so, which fuse and how should I attach the wire? Also looking for a hole in the firewall for the power wire, I found one right above the steering column. Can I just drill a hole a little smaller than the diameter of the wire through the rubber cover and run it through or should it be sealed properly? Thanks

What's a good place to ground the amp to?

Also, what converter should I use to go from rca for the amp to speaker wire for the head unit?

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just curious brand/power rating for amp/subs? i'm currently deployed so i'm going off memory...do you have the manual? that would be the place to look and post a pic to show where mine is wired...best place for remote wire depends on your head unit...factory or aftermarket? if factory i believe it's fuse panel #31 for accessory switch or #13...there are a few accessory fuses so u have to pick the one that is tied to the radio and couple other things...again...going off memory of where mine is...

if aftermarket...it would be best to wire to remote turn-on wire of the head unit that way when it turns on...amp turns on...im not sure with other models...but in my 04 EB...my radio will continue to have power and play when in accessory and will continue to play with key out of ignition until i open the door or 3-5 mins later and power will turn off

the panel is on the passenger side in the kick panel...just pop the cover off and all fuses/relays are there

running power wire...there's no need to look for a hole through the firewall...i have mine ran through the crevest in the corner...battery side...theres an opening that you can just feed the wire through and it will come down inside to passenger floor...pending the thickness of wire ur using it may spool up...just lay down on passenger floor and pull it down...

where to put amp...TOTALLY UP TO U!!! pending how big the amp is...you may be able to it under the middle seat in the second row...some ppl attach it to the box...tucked behind the box...laying out in the back...you can also put it in the tire jack spot...again...pending on the size of the amp...i go hard so i have HUGE amps and current set up has my amp inside the panel where the sub would be in the rear left panel and my 4-ch is in the tire jack area...i've seen them attached to the back of the seat of the 2nd row or 3rd row...attached to rear panels...totally up to you

now that i have read the following "ALSO" i see u have the factory unit...do you the factory sub? if so you can buy ANY converter and link to the wiring from the fatory sub...if not...i would suggest running the speaker inputs from the radio harness...you will have to run the speaker wires OPPOSITE of the power wire or u run the risk of interference/feedback in ur system...walmart sells the converter for about $15...SCOCHE...and they have the rca's...

most important in every system is the GROUND...if you dont properly ground the system it will give all sorts of feedback/popping in ur system...the rule is no more than a foot of wire for the ground...u can have more to about 18 inches total...find a good grounding point...since u will be in walmart...by a wire wheel...it attaches to ur drill and will scrap the paint to bare metal...U NEED BARE METAL FOR UR GROUND...and can drill with self tapping screws there if nothing else will be affected or find a point...

should be about it...GOOD LUCK

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks a lot 6k,

Sub is Kicker DC12 (2 12" subs in a ported box) amp is a mono VM Audio 1600w.

I have the sub placed right over where the 3rd row would fold up, but allows me to still use the storage area where the jack would be. I have the amp between that and the back of the second row of seats. What are my options for grounding points around there? 12" does not give me many choices. I was thinking maybe loosen one of the bolts for the 3rd row seats and ground to that. I've got a wire wheel but I think I would be ok if the ground wire touches the threads on the seat bolt?

I looked quick and didn't see the place you were talking about to run the power wire. Looking under the hood where abouts is it?

Not entirely sure if I do have the factory sub, I assumed I did but maybe not. I did go to walmart today and picked up the Scoche converter.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12-18" is the norm...u can run longer if u need to...u can make ur own grounding point...as I explained by ensuring nothing is under where ur drilling like other wires and such...I guess u could use the seats...try it and see...I personally wouldn't but it may do the job...if u get any feedback...its not good...the location is in the corner past ur battery...just start running it through cuz u wont see it...u can only see it laying inside on the passenger floor with someone using a flashlight...trust me...just feed it though and it will come down or u will have to look under the glove compartment and pull it down...its too easy

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, gonna be doing most of the install tomorrow. Which wires will I have to cut to install the line output converter at the HU?

Is there enough space to stick the line output converter behind the stock head unit?

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know what wires u will have to splice into...i have aftermarket HU...there is PLENTY of space to but it there...make sure ur rca's are long enough...u can search on youtube...someone may have posted a video on there for factory wiring adding converter/rca's...you can also go to a audio shop and ask...if theyre cool they'll tell u

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6k, I tried to run the power cord through every crevice and hole near the battery, all of them led to under the car rather than inside. What should I be looking out for?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pop ur hood...take a pic...post it here...if u can...get someone to hold a flashlight in the corner where the 3 connectors of wires are at...looking under the hood top left corner...then u get on the floor of the passenger seat and look up in the corner...need to do this at night or darkness of the garage...thats how i found it...installing at night and i saw the light from my garage...

im deployed so i cant take or send pics to show u

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attached some pictures of the battery area. I did try shining a flashlight in the dark and didn't see any light under the glovebox.

Attachments

• IMG_3541.jpg
    IMG_3541.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 349

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn sorry dude...my 04 isn't set up like urs...u must have 1st run 04 that was actually made in 03? if u can wait till around the 23rd of jan i'll post pics when I get home...sorry