2005 Eddie Bauer 5.4L OD Transmission Puzzle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Molly G

Reaction score
I'm am experiencing an issue with the over drive in my Expedition. Transmission had to be rebuilt in April of 2017. Was fine for 14 months. When it is hot outside, the engine is at full operating temperature, and vehicle has been under some sort of load it slips while trying to engage into OD. RPMs go up to 5000 and sounds like you are revving the engine while in neutral. Taking it out of OD it resolves the issue and drives fine. Had it back to our transmission service tech and they were not able to recreate the conditions and the symptoms did not occur for them. Said we should bring it back if it continues and if we could find a way to recreate the conditions. No lights or codes are sent to the computer when this occurs.

This weekend we had temperatures in the 90's and had driven it over an. hour in varying interstate conditions in a hilly area of Ohio. The issue presented itself again multiple times; again no codes or lights were triggered. After getting home and staying home for several hours we took it back out in late evening. The sun was setting and much cooler outside and we were not able to recreate the conditions; it drove perfectly fine and the OD engaged as it should on flats, stopping and starting, through acceleration and hilly terrain.

I'm perplexed and any insight would be helpful.