2005 Exp, heavy Exhaust that smells of gas, P2198 code, Truck runs great

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryNovice

Reaction score
The truck has about 180k miles, I bought it with 140k. It started running rough and throwing codes. I changed two plugs and ignition coils 8 and 6. Changed the oil which smelled of gas. The hose from Vapor Management Valve had rotted and was shredded so I replaced it temporarily with an air compressor hose I had on hand. Now the truck idles great, and drives great but looks like I am laying a smoke screen behind me. Also got the P2198 code again. My next step is to change out the remaining plugs and ignition coils. I've been lurking in this forum all week and this seems to be a common problem but I don't understand that after what I have done I see no improvement in the exhaust but the engine runs much better and need help on what to do next. Thanks in advance for any help.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clearly it's running rich and from the sounds of it very rich. Not having any other codes I would look again for a vacuum leak, check the fuel pressure damper, clean the MAF wires with MAF Cleaner only, check the PCV. I have found several times that I think the PCV is okay, but I replace it and it's better. For instance both my sons Ranger and my Expedition reduced oil consumption by about 1/2qt every 1k miles after replacing the PCV, in both cases I used a Motorcraft replacement.
With P2198 returning I'd probably swap the O2 sensor as well or swap the bank 1 and 2 sensors to see if the code follows.