2005 Expedition AC issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rob Adams

Reaction score
You can answer your questions with a little thought:

A) is this normal on these expys? Poor AC when idle/not moving?
No - wouldn't sell very many if it was. You should have cool/cold air withing a few seconds of startup.

B) does anybody know of an improved set of fan blades to draw more air? or, alternately is there a combined condenser radiator part that would drop in and replace the 2 individual "thin" radiators and thus eliminate the gap?
Fan - yes but there will be a cost in mpg - bigger blades and increased pitch - HD Fan
Combo - no

c) could this be a fan clutch problem? I don't deal with high engine temps at Idle, so i think the radiator is getting enough airflow
Engine produces more heat energy as the rpms increase so forward movement usually will aid in cooling

d)any recommendations for a bolt on additional electric condenser fan? I'd rather not convert and go full electric (removing the factory fan from the front of the motor) Just looking to get some additional airflow at idle...maybe a switch I can toggle on the dash to add some extra airflow.
Not really needed if the fan & clutch are working properly[/QUOTE]
Thank you Stamp...truly I appreciate the answers :)

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two other things have come to mind. The first is the spacing of the fan from the radiator. The closer the better. The other is the fan shroud needs to be in place and sealed especially if you have a lift installed.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s only on super hot days that’s a normal delay. When it’s 90+ out my truck takes a few minutes to cool down. If it’s a mild morning it blows cold almost immediately.

OP
OP
R

Rob Adams

Reaction score
Two other things have come to mind. The first is the spacing of the fan from the radiator. The closer the better. The other is the fan shroud needs to be in place and sealed especially if you have a lift installed.
No lift on the truck. All the shrouding seems to be in place and factory original. I'm still not pleased with the airflow through the main radiator. i feel i should be getting more. May try to get the hose in there and spray it out more. My wife did comment that she felt that things cooled down quicker after spraying things down the other day. maybe going to have to get an angled nozzle to fit between the condenser and the radiator and blast it out more