2005 Expedition Low Oil light and engine knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awojtowicz

Reaction score
on my 218,000 mile 2005 expedition I'm having a problem with low oil warning, check engine light, engine knocking. I was driving and check engine light came on and low oil came up and engine starting knocking like it was going to explode. i pulled over and checked oil. little low so i topped it off. this happened after driving for like and hour. i let sit for like 5 minutes and started it up and it ran fine for another 30 minutes to work. Later i was driving home and it happened again driving on the highway. i pull over for a bit and then start it up and drive home. so its not a constant thing. i had error codes p0011 and p0345 i think. after googling it i see people are talking about oil pressure switch or bad wiring. i think it might have to be with wiring. it seems it might be frayed and maybe grounding it out. my question is, how the hell you get that wire off and sensor out? i have no room to get two hands in there. no room to get the wire off. not sure how to get the wire off.

AftonJay

Reaction score
If it was knocking i don't think it is going to be an electrical issue. You said it was low when you checked it the first time, how low? like you put in a quart and were good or like you put in 3 quarts? And the second time it happened did you get the knocking or just the lights, was the oil low again?

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Aftonjay. A knock indicates a mechanical problem and eliminates electrical. If it was very low, you could have spun a bearing or caused other damage. That is especially true if you oil pump has questionable output or regular oil changes weren't performed. A spun rod bearing will often be quiet at startup and then produce a loud knock as the oil warms and thins.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Engine is done. Knock is bad, no fix for it unless rebuilt or replaced with a reman short block. I will bet the oil was not changed every 3K...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
P0011.....timing job time. That means you had such little oil pressure the camphasers literally cannot do their job properly and bank 1 was over advanced and not retarding despite the ECM commanding the solenoid to open. This isn’t an overnight failure and happens over a lot of miles. You’ve likely had a startup rattle for 20,000 miles or so now....Because what stops your oil pressure is a clogged oil intake full of chunks of plastic chain guide debris. Unless you are mechanically inclined and able to inspect your cam caps yourself to verify the engine is worthy of a timing kit (throwing money in fire if it’s chewed up) I’d be looking at hopping vehicles or going with a timing job or reman engine.