2005 Expedition shuts off while Driving but Starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

halo16

Reaction score
First Post: Sorry getting right to the point!

My 2005 5.4L Expy XLT is shutting off while driving, then starts right up every time, it has done this for past 2-3 years and we are finally gonna try and get it fixed since it is so dangerous and we have not drove it much in the past.; 72,000 miles

It does it once in a while, like once a week or even a month.

However Mechanics are at a lost or want to trouble shoot everything. No codes no check engine light,

**I'm going to put in a new Fuel Pump Driver Module, mine has some Corrosion but no holes like others I seen on the web. **

So if it is not the FPDM, what else could it be?

I have read about this problem with the 2003-2005 Expy's and F150's and for some it's the FPDM, other Fuel Relay and had to replace the whole fuse box since the Relay is soldered in the fuse box, is that true:think:?

So looking for anyone that has found a solution or has a opinion or a thread I can read.

Should of been a Recall, ( my opinion)

Last edited:

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just recently had to go through this with my 2004 5.4L (about 1 week ago). It is actually the soldered fuel pump relay in the middle on the inside of the fuse block. They call it a non serviceable relay which basically means its soldered onto the board and the mechanic is not going to take the time to solder a new one. The relay ran me $17.99 shipped from ebay and I got it within a few days. It took me about an hour total to pull the fuse block and solder the new one on. Here is a link to a really good step by step of taking apart the fuse block to replace the relay and also a link to order the new relay. Hope this helps!!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnlWO4ciFg

Relay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-Fuel-Pump-relay-R303-12V-Replaces-Omron-Relay-F8VF-BA-/271331387441

You can probably find the same relay on other sites with about the same amount in shipping. I bought 2 just in case.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuel pump relay has been a known problem on the 03 and a few times on the 04 but this is the first that it could also be a problem in the 05 model Keep the forum posted as the results will help others in the future.

The FPDM is normally more of a problem in the snow belt states and when it fails it normally does so without warning. Plus the FPDM is only on the 05-06 models
I would agree with onlyexilove to check the relay

OP
OP
H

halo16

Reaction score
Thanks all,

So let me make sure I understand if it is the FPDM it would not start at all? I can drive but shuts off and starts right back up.

Now my gut is thinking it maybe the Fuel Relay, crap! I have to check the video to see if I’m comfortable doing that, fuse boxes freak me out especially if I have to pull something that is soldered out and redo it.

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
honestly it takes about 20 minutes to pull the fuse block out from the passenger side behind the trim pieces. There are about 10 wire harnesses that luckily only go into the respective slot so you cant get them mixed up. Taking apart the box isnt that difficult and if you are comfortable with doing basic soldering you can do this one. I suggest to use flux to help to solder lay down right and go from there.

OP
OP
H

halo16

Reaction score
Quick update:

Installed FPDM, drove around truck did not turn off, Drove the next day it turned off twice. Check engine light came on and is still on so far, so I’ll go to a auto parts store and see what codes come up. ( the check engine light usually will go off every time it stops or will not stay on very long)

Recap:

2005 Ford Expedition still shuts off while driving; and starts right up after. One time it did it had a clicking sound like not from engine but sounded electrical.

So my 2 highest possibilities are the Fuel Relay as people have mentioned, and I have also read about the Electronic Throttle Body Control.

If anyone has any more input or a guess if it is the Fuel Relay or the Electronic Throttle Body Control it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well now for my 2 cents worth You seem reluctant to look into the fuse block that just about everyone is telling you that is most likely where the problem is. I advised you about the FPDM and when they fail they fail But you went and replaced it anyway. And now you come up with the idea that it could be "The Electronic Throttle Body Control"

Its your expy and it appears that you are willing to throw parts into it rather than take the time to check the Fuel Pump Relay on the Fuse Block.

But I feel that 3 out of the 4 people that are on this thread say fuse block and relay and you seem to think otherwise.

You also stated "One time it did it had a clicking sound like not from engine but sounded electrical" That is normally the sound that a relay makes when its not holding in.

Check the fuse block and relay and save yourself some money in the parts that you are just throwing into the expy with the hope that sooner or later you will get lucky