2005 Expedition timing chain kit replacement. Can a (fairly capable) newbie do it? (moral support thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aldub516

Reaction score
Hello all, new comer here, and looking for advice/help, so thank you in advance. A quick backround, I have close to no real knowledge or experience working on cars/engines etc. I am a vehicle dummy, but have had great success on things i did repair via youtube videos and lots of research, so i am a very handy, and capable person. Im very comfortable with Building, repairing, tools, carpentry etc. So im capable of doing this type of work, with the right guidance. I recently received a $3800 estimate/kiss of death for a timing chain replacement kit +phasers for my 2005 expedition king ranch edition, which has 230,000 miles on it, but has run like a gem for the 5 years i had it (zero problems aside of general maintenance). The truck is currently running fine, but with some rattling in the timing chain area that started awhile back. The problem recently began with a check engine light and error code p0340. I started trouble shooting with the camshaft position sensors, crankshaft sensor, and finally had to bring it to a pro. The timing chain is his diagnoses. So I have 4 options-
1) Pay for this repair ($3800 + whatever comes up during the repair)-- not a great option for a 2005 with 230,000 miles on it
2)Sell the truck for a few grand since its still running and is a beautiful truck, and try to put a down payment and finance something newer
3) Put a newer engine in it if i can for under $6k and get a few more years out of her (assuming everything else is in decent condition)-- Being a vehicle dummy, i dont even know if this is a realistic option
4) try and repair it myself.

Money is not a giant issue as far as finding a solution. I have the money to do whats best, but figuring out whats best is the key. Im not "balling" as they say, so if i could get some more life out of this girl for $2k or less, id love to, anything above that is worth considering moving on.

I have a first initial (and silly) question so i can begin doing the research and effort on my own. I found a great 4 part video on you tube here - YOUTUBE FORD ENGINE REPAIR
It states this video is for a ford 5.4L 3v Engine. But my 2005 expedition engine is a 5.4L V8. Aside from the differences in these engines, can anyone please confirm if this video walkthrough would work on my engine as well? or just the 3 valve. It seems a lot of people have had success following that video, and ive had a lot of success with my truck repairs via youtube help. I feel confident this video along with a lot of other reading up will get me to my goal. I just cannot find a solid answer on if this repair on the 5.4L 3v will work on the 5.4L V8. If this is stupid/obvious, im sorry. But this is my starting point.

With that being said, generally, can anyone offer any small tips/lessons while attempting this? I intend on buying the ford oem parts, and the necessary tools. I have a large workshop full of tools, and plenty of capable and smart friends with relative experience in this stuff, just not timing chains specifically. My fear is once I get into the repair, i dont know enough to observe any other issues or problems, but alas, my mechanic was going to do a timing chain kit and phasers, so thats what id like to attempt. The mechanic said until he actually gets into the timing chain and looks at it, he cant say exactly what it may need, but that was beyond the normal diagnosis. He DID do a oil pressure test which he says is the first thing to check to see if its even worth saving the engine. Oil pressure came back at 35 psi and he said thats good, and onto the timing chain. Thank you so much for reading this and any time you have to offer some guidance. Im confident i can get this done with a little help.. and thus far, figuring out if this video applies to my engine is the first small hurdle.. Thank you!

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weldome to the forum. I think you should leave it to the pros. Yes, 5.4L 3v is in your truck. That means 3 valves per cylinder. Every Expedition with a 5.4L has 3v after 2002. Timing chain is something that can be detrimental if you install it wrong and it could cost you more in the long run. This is something youtube can not teach, and that is experience.

OP
OP
A

aldub516

Reaction score
I do appreciate your advice, and also your response to my question. It's hard to justify spending that money to have it repaired.. In the condition its in (the king ranch is a beautiful truck) I believe I can still get a decent price for it, and put that towards a newer vehicle + $4k cash that i'd otherwise spend on the repair. $10 k down should get me going in something decent with a good monthly payment. Ideally even for $2k, if I COULD do this myself, and give the truck a little more life that would be the best case scenario, but I also know how easy it is to mess this up and end up with a pile of parts and being lost. I will confer with some people I know that work on cars, and dig a little deeper. Unless I am 1000% sure I can do this, I won't. It seems the most reasonable move is to sell the truck and move on. I would just love to "kick the bucket down the road" a bit and not have to spend thousands right now. Thank you again!!!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you really like the Expy and it's in good shape overall, investing in a new motor may be your best option. The 2005 model year was the first to come out with the 3V motor, and many issues were discovered by unfortunate owners. Anybody that does any research on the early 3V Expies would not buy them. But if you already have one and all it needs is a new motor, that is a lot cheaper than new car payments, and then you have a new motor that you know the history of and can have confidence in it's reliability for many years to come. You would also increase the value of the vehicle if you ever did decide to sell it down the road, if you can show receipts for a new motor and all maintenance history. But as to your original question. If you've never done a timing chain job before, the 3V 5.4 motor is not the place to start. There's just too many opportunities for mistakes, and one mistake can cost you a motor anyway.

OP
OP
A

aldub516

Reaction score
I watched through the entire video, and although there were no parts that made me think "this is impossible", it simply became a time/ risk vs reward thing. Basically the entire engine comes apart and i could see me saying "i shouldve just spent the money at the mechanic"....Now, I did NOT consider a new engine until my friend mentioned it, and that might be a very reasonable option. I love this truck. The king ranch has such beautiful leather, interior, etc. The idea of putting roughly 4-6 K into this old truck as a repair sucks, but putting 4-6K into a new engine that will give this truck a few more years is not a bad option. I am going to look into the new engine option as my new first option. With that being said, any advice you may offer into what to look for now that im upgrading? What might you do in my position? Like I said its not like im flat broke, but I also enjoy NOT having a new monthly bill. If a few grand for a new engine will get me EVEN A FULL YEAR out of this truck id be content.. Just trying to kick this issue down the road until Im ready to spend money on something new. Thank you all for the input!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a shop in your area willing to do the engine swap ? See what rebuilder they like to use. Some shops will only use certain rebuilders to warranty their work.

mhg1

Reaction score

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Checkout FordTechMakuloco on YouTube. I follow his channel. Have gained a wealth of information. He’s a prior Ford tech that branched out on his own; now has his own shop.

Look through his posts… I guarantee you there is something else you have an issue with that he has covered.

I saved this particular series (4 parts) of videos covering timing chain swaps for my old Eddie Bauer. Never did it because the daughter drives it now. Tried to tell her 305k miles is an impressive number to reach, but it won’t last. Was hoping to get my truck back once she’s able to get a new vehicle. It’s so ratted out now I don’t think I want it back.

Back to the topic at hand… I think you’ll find the information in the videos either inspirational, or discouraging, depending on your abilities, access to tools, and proper working environment.

I am a Government contractor that spends a lot of time away from home, my tools, and garage. So, there are many things I put off until I get back home. Sometimes I get lucky and will be at a military installation that has an auto craft shop that I can use (retired Army). But, with something as involved in a timing chain I don’t have the time. Nor, will I have the option to “run back out” to the dealer, or auto parts store, to exchange out that wrong part they gave me, get the part I forgot, etc.

With that said, I’ve actually got an appointment with FordTechMakuloco later this month for a timing chain replacement (and all the upgraded parts involved), and walnut blast of my valves.

Oh, might need this…

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other thing… Brian, the guy in the video link I sent, does not speak highly of remanufactured engines. He’s really big on genuine Ford parts. He also will let you know when Ford does something crappy, too.

He’ll warn you of some of the companies that sell replacements. Just be sure to get a good warranty. You can surf through the videos to find more info on that subject.

Whatever you decide good luck.

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
It’s a time consuming and tedious job. In addition to phasers, chains, tensioners and guides, replacing the oil pump, roller followers and lash adjusters are a must. I did this myself over 5 years ago but have about 45 years of experience doing all kinds of car mechanical work. Of course there are more design problems with this engine, the passenger side exhaust manifolds warp and crack and are very difficult to replace…. The timing and cylinder head work is something I wouldn’t trust anyone else to do but me, having done the job. If I had a 230K mile Expedition that needed a timing job, I’d probably go with a Powertrain Products reman with new exhaust manifolds and some other new peripherals. Good luck and if you keep it, be sure to get the Ford shop manual—a must.