2006 5.4l having a felt miss at 52 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey my moms 2006. 5.4l is having a motor miss at around 52mph going up hills, I’ve changed throttle bodies, recalibrated it, still same issue, took it to 2 local shops both say is functioning like it suppose to, no check engine light, but motor is missing at that 52mph . Is has 105k miles stock plugs and coil pacs
Any idea on what to change next

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Almost certainly an ignition miss. Could be some moisture in one or two of the plug wells on the boots or you may need plugs and/or have a flaky COP acting up.
Get a scan tool on it with mode 6 test results and it will show misfire counts for each cyl and point you to which one to inspect closer.
If it were mine I would get some motorcraft plugs and a new set of ebay coils (under $40 for all 8 now) and put them in it.

Davew72

Reaction score
Almost certainly an ignition miss. Could be some moisture in one or two of the plug wells on the boots or you may need plugs and/or have a flaky COP acting up.
Get a scan tool on it with mode 6 test results and it will show misfire counts for each cyl and point you to which one to inspect closer.
If it were mine I would get some motorcraft plugs and a new set of ebay coils (under $40 for all 8 now) and put them in it.

Good advice......

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s kind of what my last 2007 did when it had a bad coil.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine had a miss, was poor connection on one cylinder, cleaned it up and put some die electric grease on connector.