2006 Eddie Bauer - Add back up camera and new screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billdakine

Reaction score
New to the site. I did a search but could not locate a discussion on my topic.

I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer with stock speakers and an Alpine stereo. The stock stereo did not have navigation. I have the factory sub in the back.

I want to replace the stereo with a larger screen capable of adding a back up camera. Wireless apple car play is the only other thing I require.

Does anyone have any suggestions on stereos, back up cameras, and/or backup camera mounting options?

I would like the camera in a hidden or stock looking location. The license plate frame style does not look good and I worry about theft. A Ford emblem with built in camera would be perfect but I can only find the larger F150 emblems.

Thanks!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I have an 03, so same body as yours. I have the license plate mount camera and its barely visible. I have a thread somewhere on here with a slew of pics from my stereo upgrade and camera install in the summer of 2019. I couldn't see theft being a big thing as they are wired and unless you're going to unwired the entire camera there is no way to remove it and it be useful for the thief to sell or otherwise as the connections are going to be inside the vehicle. Cameras are also extremely commonplace these days and not the luxury they once were.

For radios with wireless carplay you're going to peel off a few 100's, wireless is typically on your premium models. I would never have a wired system after having wireless in both of our vehicles. Hop in, tuen the key and in about 6 seconds you're going and no wires anywhere.

I have pioneer units in our Navigator and Expedition. One is an older 7" 4500NEX and the ither is the 9" W7600NEX with an HD display. The latter is MUCH nicer to look at but is over 1k even if you catch a deal which is unlikely w the inventory levels these days. I used to install this stuff and got it about half of retail so only reason I went to that level.

Look into the Idatalink Maestro RR or RR2 harness for the radio. It'll integrate with the OBD port and depending on radio choice will gives you access to DTC's, tire pressures, digital gages, etc and also allows you to reprogram the steering wheel buttons to whatever cistom function you want. If you ever change vehicles it can be removed and works with the vast majority of cars from about 05+ with just buying a simple vehicle specific T harness for the next one.

OP
OP
B

billdakine

Reaction score
Thank you! That is a ton of really good info. Really appreciate it.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no help on the head unit, other than Crutchfield has a great site for research. I recently replaced my head unit, but I had no interest in cell phone or camera connectivity.

Anyway, what about mounting the camera on the bottom of the plastic trim where the license plate lights are or in the step tread of the rear bumper so the black plastic will help hide it. Heck you could probably come up with a way to mount it on the trailer hitch or in the receiver tube as well, be kinda useless if you tow a trailer often though. Any of these ideas will require a bit of fabrication.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did post a camera link previously:

Kenerator

Reaction score
Here is how I mounted my backup camera. I routed the wiring up through the existing boot at the top of the lift gate, through the headliner, down the drivers side A-pillar, through dash to the stereo location. The routing of the wire is not technically difficult, but it is a little tedious. It will be helpful to remove interior pieces as needed for access. They come off pretty easily and logically. Take your time and invest in good interior removal tools.
I installed a Kenwood head unit. Sounds great and functions well. It’s beautiful at night but has a lot glare during the day. Also, polarized sunglasses make it almost unseeable.

4EF4C478-C239-4828-B918-34462AB400DA.jpegF447AB93-8794-48A2-993C-4B2889C54BFA.jpegCB0F6456-B916-4B17-BF29-8E0553B8056D.jpeg0EE479DA-17C3-4669-9106-96EF5BD8E72D.jpeg.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just mounted mine to the frame tube on the driver's side and ran the cable up inside the frame tube, up to the emergency brake cable grommet and along the brake cable to the interior. Up and over the steering column to the head unit. Pretty simple and quick. Gives a great view when backing up, and shows the trailer hitch when I'm trying to connect my boat trailer. It's a Pioneer and came with the head unit package.

Expy Rear Cam.JPG
Expy Cam Mount.JPG

The tape is on there just to offer some protection to the camera from splashes from the rear tire. Not really needed though. The camera mount is bolted to the frame with SS 14 x 20 pan head screws.

04WHITEEDDIE

Reaction score
Hey Aspen 03, I just looked on Crutchfield site at the 9"

DMH-WT7600NEX​

(nice unit)...their application guide indicates it does not fit 2nd gen expo. How did you get the unit to fit? any customer modifications needed? Thanks

Beachums

Reaction score
I have a Pioneer head unit and an Amazon special. I took my time and pulled the rear hatch covers and fished the wiring through the existing loom. It looks factory. I use AA and my wife uses the CarPlay. Once we had everything setup, it was seamless. All done wirelessly, no annoying cables to plug into your phone.

Also, If you do not have one of these, I highly recommend you get one. It will definitely cut your time down.

Edit....I forgot to add I used a PAC adapter for steering wheel button integration as well.

Last edited: