2006 expedition rear differential cover removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dogman

Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing the rear differential fluid in my 2006 expedition which has 4 wheel drive. I'd like to remove the cover and clean out the housing before I replace the fluid. There isn't much clearance by the cover. Is it possible to remove the cover for cleaning by just removing the cover bolts? I could not find any videos specifically showing a gen 2 expedition. If not I guess my over option is to just drain the fluid and replace without cleaning the housing. Thanks

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go with option #2 ..... if you want to clean the pumpkin just use some degreaser and a stiff parts brush, then pressure wash it.

Plati

Reaction score
I had that question about removing the cover on my 2003. Found out you had to pull the wholedamnthing out of the vehicle. Big bolts go all the way through it mounting it solidly to frame.

OP
OP
D

dogman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. Looks like I am going with option 2. I don't really care how the outside looks because you really can't see it. I just thought it would be a good idea to wipe out the inside but it seems that is not an option right now. The front differential sounds like it will be even more fun!