2006 Ford Expedition 2 gear boggle down/sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael_Rsn

Reaction score
Hello friends,
I have a 2006 Ford Expedition. The vehicle was bought pre-owned from auction with around 180k on the mileage. The vehicle has a massive amount of upkeep and maintenance performed.

Few months ago my family and I decided to head to Dallas leaving from Houston. We decided to take the Expedition as it was the most road worthy out of my other 3 vehicles.
We stayed about a week and the Expedition drove like a champ.

Before we made our way back to Houston we stopped at Chevron gas station it wasn’t a very well kept one but we filled her up and took off.

About an hour and a half of the trip back
we hit some traffic and the Expedition started to shift erratically so I just kept her in 2nd gear to avoid the shifting until traffic was over , switched her back into D and all was well.
The day after the vehicle was slow to take of on 2nd gear and it would hesitate to go into Final Drive or Overdrive.

I took the Expedition to a Transmission Shop and told them to take it for a drive and let me know what they find.

To me I thought it was most likely a cause of bad fuel.

I get the call from the shop afew hours later and the mechanic informs me it is my Torque Converter that is going out.

We had it replaced and the vehicle was now going into Overdrive and driving good no more rumbling from 4-final drive.

I noticed though under normal acceleration 2nd gear is very slow/sluggish unless I floor it where it jumps to 3-4k rpm which is something I’d rather not have to do while driving. All other gears are fine and overdrive is fine. No rumbling or odd noises from the drivetrain. No codes.

Could it be the Torque Converter issue caused the 2nd gear clutch pack to Overheat?

Prior to the trip I replaced the Transmission Filter and performed 1 drain & fill.
I did notice the transmission was rather hot.

There is a slight slip but it is very minimal.
At this point my main concern is the 2nd gear issue.

Replaced Fuel Filter , Spark Plugs , COP’s
Filled with Premium Gas and Fuel Treatment and I’ve tryed Injector Cleaner as well.

Any solutions, past experiences, input you guys can share would be great thx.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed though under normal acceleration 2nd gear is very slow/sluggish unless I floor it where it jumps to 3-4k rpm which is something I’d rather not have to do while driving. All other gears are fine and overdrive is fine. No rumbling or odd noises from the drivetrain. No codes.

Could it be the Torque Converter issue caused the 2nd gear clutch pack to Overheat?

Prior to the trip I replaced the Transmission Filter and performed 1 drain & fill.
I did notice the transmission was rather hot.

There is a slight slip but it is very minimal.
At this point my main concern is the 2nd gear issue.

Replaced Fuel Filter , Spark Plugs , COP’s
Filled with Premium Gas and Fuel Treatment and I’ve tryed Injector Cleaner as well.

Any solutions, past experiences, input you guys can share would be great thx.
Sounds like you're dropping back to 1st gear and then shifting right into 3rd or 4th and skipping 2nd, when you floor it that's what it should do anyway.

If it's slipping and has issues with 2nd gear in addition I would say either low internal line pressure or it's worn out. Maybe consider one of the myriad of "fix in a bottle" options and see what ya get. If that doesn't work I'd be looking to replace the trans. If the "fix in a bottle" will just delay the replacement if it helps.