2006 Stereo Harness issue - Crutchfield Stereo Replacement (double din)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmacres

Reaction score
I ordered a new radio along with the already wired harness to make this a plug and play process. Unfortunately I believe I'm having issues with my stock stereo harness; symptom:

Stereo worked for a few days then started popping.

Stereo started popping when the truck was parked and the key was out of the ignition

After getting into the car with the key out of the ignition to check it seemed like the unit was powering on and off very quickly. I'm suspecting a cable in the harness is bad?

Crutchfield kindly did an RMA for everything including the custom made harness. The new gear was installed and now the radio won't go on. I've had the dash off this rig so many times I can have it off in less than 5 minutes.

My thought was do not use the harness for power but use the rest of the harnesses and wire something directly into the vehicle for power? Right now it's all installed but the power harness is pulled out.

Unfortunately the stock stereo got thrown away.

Another observation is the harness itself seems very stiff and brittle. I probably didn't help anything by moving it around everywhere troubleshooting

Any suggestions on what direction to go would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• MetraWireHarness-120701776.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it subwoofer pop when you turn it off and on? You need a 12v to 5v down converter. Did the custom harness include it?

OP
OP
J

jmacres

Reaction score
When the stereo was working I did notice a pop turning on and off the ignition. Initially I thought it was just the sub popping but if you sit in there you can tell is all the speakers, the sub is just more pronounced. I'm not aware of a 12v to 5v down converter. Crutchfiled said they've done literally thousands of Expeditions and never brought this up

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they send you the metra 70-5519? In every instance you need to step that 12v turn on down to 5 or 6v or the sub will pop and it's quite bad for it. You can use a 2.37Kohm resistor wired in series on that turn on wire and itll be fine if you cant find the actual part. They are quote common in most shops due to it being one of the resistor values used in a VATS system for when we do remote starts on GM.

FWIW what radio do you have?

OP
OP
J

jmacres

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention it's a Jensen VX7288. I've attached a portion of my invoice

Attachments

• Jensen.pdf
    24.7 KB · Views: 4

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the stereo was working I did notice a pop turning on and off the ignition. Initially I thought it was just the sub popping but if you sit in there you can tell is all the speakers, the sub is just more pronounced. I'm not aware of a 12v to 5v down converter. Crutchfiled said they've done literally thousands of Expeditions and never brought this up

actually that's not true. If your representative at Crurchfield told you that, they are an idiot.I have a friend who bought a stereo a few years ago from them and it did come with the 12v to 5v adapter

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the harness I got when I ordered my new stereo for my 2006 Limited. As you can see it has the step down plug in it. Whoever sold you your kit did you a disservice or made a mistake.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249FD60L/Crux-SWRFD-60L-Wiring-Interface.html
I had that same harness in my 2006 EB, it didn't stop the sub pop, even adding an AFDI-5V before or after the crus converter, and trying a second AFDI-5V, I still had pop. I switched to a metra harness (with and AFDI-5V) and Axxess SWC and the pop went away. Both the Crux and Axxess SWC sometimes makes my volume go up instead of down if I push the volume down button.