2007 5.4L Expedition rough start and idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cole Sonett

Reaction score
See google drive link for audio of engine start and idle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JraUw8bhvEGeSkLhdOwxBiv3mdoSwMfG/view?usp=sharing

TL;DR: loud popping noises and irregular firing, Runs fine when in gear and up above 15 MPH. Mile 199,920

I replaced the Variable Camshaft Timing Solenoids at mile 193,000.

Current theory without pulling the codes is an issue with the throttle body or the mass airflow sensor.

Any insights by anyone?

Thanks in advance.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is interesting you were able to provide the recording. You can get the elm327 bluetooth obd2 adapter and run a program like torque on your phone. That may be an android only program. Amazon has the adapter for low price. I got the bosch adapter and it worked at first but will no longer connect. The bosch could provide more in terms of codes for other stuff but requires additonal purchase on top of the first hundred bucks. The popping could be the shorting to the frame. If the coil is shorting to the block i think ive heard it grounding to the dash. If the coil is shorting to the block that would cause your fuel smell. You could replace the boot of the coil i think. Yours is a few years newer than mine. so the boot is what insulates the coil/plug from the block. Since you would be getting spark to short the coil would be strong.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the vac hose on the passenger side rear of the engine...where the preformed bend is....a hole underneath happened on my 99 & 03.....fwiw.

jeff