2007 Electrical Problem (Can't Think of a Better Title)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rschorr

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to do my best to explain what is happening to my 2007 Expedition. About a week ago I was driving down the road and a friend in front of me thought I was flashing my lights at him. It was daytime and my light switch was on the auto setting, but I was not "flashing him." So I turned the light switch to the off setting.
The next day we were on the way home, drivers side window down, radio on and AC on. Next thing I know, it all shuts off - no radio, no windows, no AC. The car was still running/driving fine. I hit the off button on the AC panel (Eddie Bauer) and after a few minutes the radio came back on and the windows worked. If I tried to cut the AC back on, it would all power down again.
When we got home, I tired to do some research, couldn't find anything, popped the hood and noticed an excessive amount of corrosion on both battery terminals and cables. I thoroughly cleaned both terminals, reconnected everything and all seemed to be fine - all week. I ran thr radio, AC, windows, etc.
Flash forward to last night - all was fine, we went down the road to pick up some friends and a I turned the rear AC on - that's when it all happened again. Except this time my hazard lights, brights, dome lights were all flashing, radio, windows, AC wouldn't work and I could not shift in to reverse or any gear for that matter. I could hear some "clicking" each time something flashed in the fuse box (passenger side) and under the hood (power distribution box). I pulled a few fuses, didn't have a tool to check the reconnected the battery. After a few minutes of fooling around I was able to get the window back up and drove it home and parked it.

Does anyone have any idea what in the heck is going on here? Obviously I would love for this to be an easy fix that I can do at home to avoid paying some outrageous amount taking it somewhere but I have to do what I have to do. Amy advice is greatly appreciated!!

OP
OP
R

Rschorr

Reaction score
I also wanted to mention that after disconnecting my battery a few weeks ago, my 6-disc cd player is showing an error. CDs were in the player when the battery was disconnected and now everytime I turn the car on or lock/unlock the doors it cycles thru the CDs then says "CD Error" and it will not eject the CDs. Not sure if this is related or not...

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked the battery to make sure it is holding a good charge? The relay clicking leads me to believe the battery is going bad. When there is a too large of a draw on the system with a bad battery, all kinds of weird things happen electronically.
If not a battery, your ECU/GEM module may be going bad or got wet.

OP
OP
R

Rschorr

Reaction score
Thanks, stoned! This may be a dumb question, but is there a simple at home way to check the battery to see if it's going bad? Or should I just take it up to O'reileys and have them check? I have a feeling that would be an easier/less expensive first stepm before looking in to the ECU/GEM...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Rschorr, do you have a multimeter? If so, connect the multimeter to the lead posts of the battery (not the metal clamps). Now, attempt to start the truck. Note the lowest voltage that you see. If that voltage is below 11.0 VDC, then your battery is starting to go. If it is above 11.0, then odds are, the battery is just fine.

Based on what you are describing (other than the CD changer issue), those are all tied together with the GEM module. A little bit of water inside that module will lead to all sorts of heart aches.

OP
OP
R

Rschorr

Reaction score
I took it down to o'reilleys and they tested the battery and alternator, both of which are good. If it is the GEM Module, is this something easy to replace? Has anyone had experience doing this?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Your Expy is obviously possesed! You need to take it to your local priest and have it exorcised. :flamingdevil:

If that fails to work I would check your power connections and grounds under the hood. (Look for the other end of the battery cables) Make sure there are no loose connections or heavy corrosion.

As the others have said gem module/fuse block water issues can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues and that fits you description. I know it was a common problem on the 1st generation expys but have no idea about the later generations. If any water gets behind the dash it will follow the wiring harness to the gem/fuse block. Does not take much! Can you think of any way water may have entered the vehicle recently??

I had gem/fuse block issues and was able to remove and dry them out. It was a PITA to remove but I have 1st gen expy. I would guess it will not be any easier on your gen expy. I would try and eliminate all other possibilities before messing with the gem. It would be a nightmare to go through all the trouble and find out it is not the problem.

Here is a link to my thread when I had gem/fuseblock issues... http://www.expeditionforum.com/f16/interesting-issue-14336/

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rschorr

Reaction score
Toms, I agree! This thing is possessed! I'm about to take a look at your thread for ideas/inspiration...

I'll dig a little deeper with the connections tomorrow and will look for additional corrosion. Other than that, I can't seem to find much online regarding the GEM Module in a 2007 expedition. There is a lot on the 1st gens, but I haven't found much for mine, heck I can't even find a replacement part for sale. Is the only interior fuse box behind the kick panel on the passenger side? If so, would the GEM Module be behind that fuse box?

Thanks again to everyone for all of the help so far. While I do not think the problem is 100% fixed, I feel like I'm getting somewhere...

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Toms, I agree! This thing is possessed! I'm about to take a look at your thread for ideas/inspiration...

I'll dig a little deeper with the connections tomorrow and will look for additional corrosion. Other than that, I can't seem to find much online regarding the GEM Module in a 2007 expedition. There is a lot on the 1st gens, but I haven't found much for mine, heck I can't even find a replacement part for sale. Is the only interior fuse box behind the kick panel on the passenger side? If so, would the GEM Module be behind that fuse box?

Thanks again to everyone for all of the help so far. While I do not think the problem is 100% fixed, I feel like I'm getting somewhere...

On the first gen expys the gem piggybacks the interior fuse box and that is also the only interior fuse box. I am not familiar with the 2007 expys and if their electrical system is similar in design?! Maybe someone with a later generation here knows?!

OP
OP
R

Rschorr

Reaction score
Well still no solution based update, but it was fine all day today until i was riding home and then with the radio and AC on, the doors automatically locked and from there I haven't been able to do anything. The radio won't come on, when i turn the AC on, everything shuts off and the flashers and brights are on, even with the car off. I didn't have time to work on it, so I disconnected the battery and will try and take it somewhere in the am.
One last ditch effort at O'Rilleys turned me on to the idea that the alternator could have been replaced with with one that is not producing enough power. But I'm really not 100% sold on this idea. I'm still leaning towards the GEM but can't seem to find much about it online (anywhere) for a 2007 Ford Expedition (or any 2007 Ford for that matter).
If anyone else has an idea, feel free to share. And thanks to all have shared some input so far. This has been a very welcoming community...