2007 Electrical Problem (Can't Think of a Better Title)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rschorr

Reaction score
JustAnswers.com

So i woke up the other morning and could not get the Expedition in gear. So in an effort to find an answer to my problems I posted my situation on JustAnswers.com and paid $29 for an answer. My question and the answer I received is below...

QUESTION/PROBLEM:
"I have a 2007 Ford Expedition and while driving down the road the dash/electrical components started going haywire! It seems like if too much stuff is on in the vehicle (radio, AC, etc.) when something else turns on/draws power (ex: automatic door locks) it trips something and the electronic system goes in to safety mode. Right now, the radio and AC will not turn on, the car will crank, but the passenger side headlight is flashing, as well as both tun signals and the interior cargo lights. I also can not get the vehicle in to gear. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks for the help in advance!

Model: Expedition
Year: 2007
What have you tried so far?: Disconnecting battery and pulling fuses. Ive tried to research this online with out much success. Some say it is the GEM, but Im starting to wonder if this year has a GEM..."

ANSWER:
"What you are describing is consistent with a shorted or sulfated battery. It sounds like you may also have a damaged alternator. (Bad batteries tend to take the alternator with them).

I recommend performing a thorough test of your battery and charging system before attempting any other kind of electrical diagnostics. If the battery is not working properly, nothing else will work properly. I have fixed many vehicles exhibiting similar symptoms by simply replacing the battery.

If the battery tests good (I mean tests good) then you should scan your computer network. This needs to be done with a scanner that can access all the modules in your onboard computer network. There may be a communications failure between modules - (like say....the PCM and the GEM?). The only way you will know this is with a full scan.

Let me know if you need further assistance after doing these things."

While this answer was not the solution to my problems, I do have to say the response from the website was fast and could be helpful to someone in the future. So I hope this helps someone...

With that said, I have found the solution to my problems thanks to a local auto repair shop. Apparently when the dealership installed the new A/C evaporator, they did not install it correctly (this was right before I purchased it a few months ago). The ground wires that attach to the rear of the fuse box (kickpanel on passenger side) were not reinstalled correctly which caused bad grounds, which kicked a lot of my electrical system in to safety mode. Good thing it only took 2.5 hours of labor to find it - could have been worse...

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Fortunately dealer f#$k ups is not a common expy issue.. :)

Glad to hear you have it taken care of. :pepper:

If you ever need any service done to it please dont take it to said dealer! :nono:

Last edited: