2007 Expedition power steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Tjherr

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am wondering if the 119" wheelbase Expedition came with power step or was that option only available on the EL model? Than you.

KOTU

Reaction score
My '07 Lincoln Navigator has retractable power steps. Given the similarities between the Expeditions and Navigators, it may be possible to attach/power the steps. Search the Parts.Ford.com site and view the exploded parts diagrams for the Navigator, EL, and Platinum models. If you're thinking about adding the power steps a Pick-Your-Part type yard would be a good place to go for them. The power step workings are very robust and if they haven't been damaged by a collision, they would give years of service. The one thing about my power steps that amazes me is, even though they are comprised of a lot of hefty steel, the mechanism is extremely sensitive to objects blocking the steps when they are closing. If something is blocking the steps from closing, they immediately stop and re-open. Your results may vary so test, test, and test.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was told that one does not simply add power running boards to an Expedition that didn't come with them, especially a base model with none of the frills like a navigation system. The control electronics aren't there.

Depending on how complex the step motors are, they could be fairly simple or a complex task to rig up as a stand-alone addon. Add plunger switches in the door jambs so that opening the door sends power to something to lower the running boards. Do the motors include switches or something to sense when they're fully open, fully closed, or blocked from opening or closing? Or does it rely on sensing a current draw surge to the motor when motion is blocked by an obstacle or end of travel? If it's just using motor current, how does it tell between end of travel and obstacle?

The door jamb switches can't be the sole power supply to the controller. They couldn't retract when shutting the doors. I suspect a Raspberry Pi Zero (the non-WiFi version) would be extreme overkill for the job, but it's super cheap, if you can find one. An ESP32 might do too. In either case you'd also need relays (mechanical or solid state) to handle the motor current.

Instead of a fancy automatic control, they could have the 'analog' method of direct wiring and a manual DPDT switch with spring return to center off, like old power windows used to be before the automotive industry got the idea that everything had to be electronic/computer controlled.

If your Expedition trim level had the option for power running boards, it may be as simple as finding the connectors underneath, removing dust covers, and plugging them in. That's how they have the trailer wiring hookups. Just need the right harness to plug in, no cutting of the truck wiring required.

OP
OP

07Tjherr

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess its time to go hunting for Platinum or maybe king ranch Expeditions. Gregg that is one of the things I like about Ford is they have all the wiring harnesses hook ups for all the trim packages in the vehicle and you just add the accessories and related items. You might need Forscan to turn it on and it works. I have added rear a/c to my 04 Explorer and a factory trailer brake controller in my dads 05 F250. If I need too I can wire up an adjustable delay timer relay and trigger is with the door ajar signal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes