2007 Expy Rear DVD Entertainment unit question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Discobee

Reaction score
Hi:

I once had a 2007 Expy EB EL that had the factory 6 disc + Nav radio that controlled the rear DVD entertainment unit...I sold that car a couple of years ago.

Recently, I acquired another 2007 Expy EB EL...but it came with an aftermarket double din unit (an old Eclipse brand unit -- which sucks because it's old)....so now the Eclipse HU no longer control the rear DVD unit and the DVD audio only works with IR headphones (which is fine)....the DVD disc plays fine but some of the DVD functions like FF, REW, Menu, no longer work when I press those buttons....my kids just have to let the disc play all the way through.

My question is: could the installation of the aftermarket HU have caused this issue, or is the DVD unit totally separate from the HU and there might be something wrong with the DVD unit itself?

I'm wanting to replace the DVD unit with another OEM one from eBay, but I want to make sure that it isn't the aftermarket HU that may be causing this issue. Anyone have any insight?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Discobee

Discobee

Reaction score
Problem solved: So it turns out that the shotty install by the prior owner of the old Eclipse HU did cause problems for the rear DVD functions....I replaced the HU with a new Pioneer stereo today and used the proper wiring harness kit for the Expy and all the rear DVD functions are working normal again.
(PAC RP4 FD11)
https://www.amazon.com/PAC-RadioPRO4-Replacement-Interface-RP4-FD11/dp/B0072LCXW8

This newer style wiring kit is an all-in-one harness + steering wheel control (no programming needed!) and retained 12v ACC as well as RSE (rear seat entertainment DVD). Cost was $99 at the local Fry's Electronics.

Also one of these to prevent the sub amp pop
https://www.amazon.com/Axxess-Interface-AFDI-5V-Ford-Step/dp/B00200K1X4

Install was easy and now life is good!