2007, first repair, mode door actuator. What now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
* defrost/panel/floor mode door actuator: underneath the LH side of the instrument panel
* Mode Door Actuator — Air Inlet Door: RH lower A pillar
* Temperature Blend Door Actuator — LH: under the heater core
* Temperature Blend Door Actuator — RH : center stack behind the stereo
* Auxiliary Mode Door Actuator — Expedition, Navigator: under the rear RH quarter trim panel utility tray.
* Auxiliary Temperature Blend Door Actuator — Expedition, Navigator: behind the rear RH quarter trim panel

OP
OP
JimR_TN

JimR_TN

Reaction score
Thanks!

So I don’t have dual climate up front, but I do have rear air. Do I still have both a LH and RH temperature blend door actuator?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks!

So I don’t have dual climate up front, but I do have rear air. Do I still have both a LH and RH temperature blend door actuator?

You do not.

Manual:
2011 Expedition, Navigator Workshop Manual
The temperature blend door actuator moves the temperature blend door on command from the HVAC module.

The temperature blend door actuator contains a reversible electric motor and a potentiometer. The potentiometer circuit consists of a 5-volt reference signal connected to one end of a variable resistor, and a signal ground connected to the other. A signal circuit is connected to a wiper which is driven along the variable resistor by the actuator shaft. The signal to the HVAC module from the wiper indicates the position of the temperature blend door. The HVAC module drives the actuator motor in whichever direction is necessary to make the actuator wiper voltage agree with the expected HVAC wiper voltage value.

The temperature blend door actuator is located on the top of the heater core and evaporator core housing.

Auto:
2011 Expedition, Navigator Workshop Manual
The dual-zone EATC system uses 2 temperature blend door actuators to control 2 separate temperature blend doors. The temperature blend doors independently vary the LH side and RH side temperature settings, as desired. The temperature blend door actuators each contain a reversible electric motor and a potentiometer. The potentiometer circuit consists of a 5-volt reference signal connected to one end of a variable resistor, and a signal ground connected to the other. A signal circuit is connected to a wiper which is driven along the variable resistor by the actuator shaft. The signal to the HVAC module from the wiper indicates the position of the temperature blend door. The HVAC module drives the actuator motor in whichever direction is necessary to make the actuator wiper voltage agree with the expected HVAC module wiper voltage value.

OP
OP
JimR_TN

JimR_TN

Reaction score
Finally fixed this one!

Replaced the switches with no success. So I started examining the wiring and I found this!

1A4FBFF5-FA02-4E92-B500-10D5F1C49E53.jpeg

Not only did someone do a sloppy job of wiring this with twists and electrical tape but they crossed the yellow wires! Rewired correctly with butt connectors and I now have full control over my vents.

bobgriner

Reaction score
@JimR_TN totally following your thread. I have an SSV and have "exactly" the same issue. Replaced the "Mode" actuator above gas pedal and still not change of air location. My blend actuator for the temp has worked fine all along. What I "did" notice, was that when I pulled the Mode Actuator (completely) and turned the ventilation system on, the rear actuator clicked. Kind of odd. After I put a new Mode Actuator in, the rear actuator stopped clicking, but the location of the air wasn't affected up front.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
JimR_TN >> totally following your thread. I have an SSV and have "exactly" the same issue. Replaced the "Mode" actuator above gas pedal and still not change of air location. My blend actuator for the temp has worked fine all along. What I "did" notice, was that when I pulled the Mode Actuator (completely) and turned the ventilation system on, the rear actuator clicked. Kind of odd. After I put a new Mode Actuator in, the rear actuator stopped clicking, but the location of the air wasn't affected up front.
For the member to get an alert, you can quote thier post like i have you.
Or you can put "@" in front of members name to mention them in a post and they get alert.

Welcome to the forum

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the member to get an alert, you can quote thier post like i have you.
Or you can put "@" in front of members name to mention them in a post and they get alert.

Welcome to the forum
By any chance, do you know if the blend doors/actuators/etc are set up the same way on a 99 Eddie Bauer with the EATC, and if they are all the same doors and actuators ? I'm not trying to hijack this thread (I have one started in the "Heating & Cooling" section), but I haven't gotten any help on my thread. THX !!!!!

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
(I have one started in the "Heating & Cooling" section), but I haven't gotten any help on my thread. THX !!!!!
I have seen your thread and did not answer because i do not know the answer.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread
And yet you posted a perfect example.

You can do the same thing without the hijack by mentioning a member in your post on your thread.
To mention a member put the @ symbol in front of thier name in your post on your thread.
@tekrsq and they will get an alert to your thread without the hijack.