2007 radiator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MASGVL

Reaction score
new to the forum, probably should have posted this question here. I am seeing a small leak out of the radiator. Plan on replacing it soon, just taking a look today. Will I have to take out the upper section of the fan shroud or is there enough room to unbolt everything and just shift everything back slightly. It looks quite tight in there for pulling it out, anyone have any tips?

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked in to doing this after the dealer quoted $600+ to replace it. I spent $5 on some radiator stop leak and it has been fine for 3yrs.

I do believe the upper shroud has to be removed and there may be a specific tool needed to remove and reinstall the transmission lines.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, the time has come to change out the radiator. Anyone done this themselves?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I haven't done the job, though I have a 2010 Explorer. The hardest parts of course if choosing between expensive OEM or cheaper aftermarket radiators, and getting those %$#&&! transmission line fittings off the lines.

Here's a great video that goes into what you should choose and the difference between the replacement brands:

And the same guy has a step-by-step video showing the removal and replacement:

As far as getting those fittings off, you're on your own. The special tool either works easily or doesn't work at all. There's a video that shows what is inside them and how they work. I'd probably cut the fittings off with a Dremel if they wouldn't pop off with the tool, though I haven't done myself that yet.

Let us know how you make out.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't done the job, though I have a 2010 Explorer. The hardest parts of course if choosing between expensive OEM or cheaper aftermarket radiators, and getting those %$#&&! transmission line fittings off the lines.
When I had my 06 Explorer fixed after a deer strike, the shop had to change my radiator 3 times. The first 2 were aftermarket and both leaked from the trans cooling fittings. The 3rd was OEM and worked as designed.

reamest

Reaction score
Well, the time has come to change out the radiator. Anyone done this themselves?
I changed mine out earlier this year. I had to take the entire front clip off in order to get at everything. The main cross member needs to come off also.

reamest

Reaction score
I changed mine out earlier this year. I had to take the entire front clip off in order to get at everything. The main cross member needs to come off also.

20180324_161434.jpg

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that was fun. I didn't take the front clip off but it would have been easier if I had. I removed all the stuff from the shroud and took it out. The bottom half of the shroud hinges so u can take it out w/o removing the fan. Took the top and bottom hoses off. Unfastened the radiator, prying it away from the a/c condenser/power steering cooler. This was the hardest part b/c off the plastic frame that wants to keep everything together. The 2 clips on each side of the radiator that the condenser sits on are the lil ******* of the project. I broke them off of the old radiator to remove it. Then removed the trans fluid cooler lines. Everything I read said these were difficult to remove due to the push connect fittings. Mine just had the same clamps as the top radiator hose, so just some pliers needed there. New radiator went in pretty easily. The big fuse box is always in the way. I bungee corded it towards the windshield. Now put the shroud back in and reconnect all hoses. Replace the stuff on to the shroud. Refill and run.
I did disconnect the battery. I ran a flushing concentrate thru the system and then ran straight water w the engine running and up to temp to flush out the cleaner and any residual stop leak. Then I did the swap.