2008 EL conversion to off-road

What is the most important item to upgrade an EL for dirt road/rut travel?

• Change Gearing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• None of the above - Expeditions can't handle these roads

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRocket

Reaction score
I just inherited my wife's 2008 Expedition EL (she just bought a "new" 2014 Expedition EL & handed down her old one). I want to use my 2008 to do some off-road driving (dirt roads/ruts for camping/hunting trips), and eventually to tow a trailer & haul a side-by-side.

Outside of putting on some dual-purpose tires, what modifications would you recommend for this? lift kit? bigger wheels? change gearing? Anything else? Are there any products you've used that you'd recommend?

Thanks for any info offered!

Rutted-Road.jpg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ranchos or Bilstein+Liftkit spacers
LT Muck tires
Ditch running boards if you have em
Add skid plates if you don't have em
Some kinda brush guard
Add lights, the $14 Amazon Chinese LED bars are surprisingly kickass so no real reason to break open the piggybank for $200 ridgids

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS the road above can likely be handled all day long just by adding LT BFGs or similar (hear people loooove the much cheaper Nittos)

Parkspremier

Reaction score
I just inherited my wife's 2008 Expedition EL (she just bought a "new" 2014 Expedition EL & handed down her old one). I want to use my 2008 to do some off-road driving (dirt roads/ruts for camping/hunting trips), and eventually to tow a trailer & haul a side-by-side.

Outside of putting on some dual-purpose tires, what modifications would you recommend for this? lift kit? bigger wheels? change gearing? Anything else? Are there any products you've used that you'd recommend?

Thanks for any info offered!

View attachment 25305
What did you end up doing with your rig? Tires or add more than that?