2008 Ford expedition stuck in park.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gtmitch2

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 2008 Ford Expedition Limited, 5.4.

Lately I have been having an intermittent issue where the truck gets stuck in park (shifter does not unlock). When this issue happens I lose my automatic headlamps, as well as my turn signals, but the brake lights work. Another symptom I have noticed is the truck will attempt to auto lock while I am driving even if the doors are locked already. I have replaced the brake pedal switch in the hopes it would fix the issue but it still happens.

If I sit there a while and press on the brake pedal the issue eventually goes away and I am able to drive it.

I have searched the forum and have been unable to find anything, so hoping somebody might have an idea of where I can start to attempt to remedy the issue. Thanks in advance !

sub0cool

Reaction score
there's a stoplight switch that the break pedal activates. it's around $20-$30 at autozone or advance auto parts. That fixed mine with that same issue. 2010 Exp.

CP11EXP

Reaction score
I was going to suggest same as above. Mine was the same lockout randomly but the brake lights were not coming on, so might be different if you say your brake lights come on.

OP
OP
Gtmitch2

Gtmitch2

Reaction score
Update: replaced the ignition switch, truck still has issue. Will be taking it to a proper mechanic tomorrow to get it diagnosed, cannot keep throwing parts at it.