2008 small leak toward rear of trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric von kramer

Reaction score
I noticed a small puddle ot trans fluid under my expedition. took it to my mechanic ( not a trans guy) he said it loked like it was coming from an area where it looked like wires were going in the side of the case. I drove it home and parked it and it hasn't done it since.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To bad we can’t check the trans fluid anymore, that electrical switch is what makes a vehicle have “electronic shifting” or whatever it was called at the time the term was first used. I would use some duct tape and about a 3x3 piece of cardboard and after you know the trans is hot just slide the cardboard under the switch and check it the next day for drips. Just change the gasket to the switch and your done.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed a small puddle ot trans fluid under my expedition. took it to my mechanic ( not a trans guy) he said it loked like it was coming from an area where it looked like wires were going in the side of the case. I drove it home and parked it and it hasn't done it since.
It's been almost a month -- have you done anything about this?

It's your "bulkhead connector" that's leaking. It's a cheap DIY job if you don't mind rolling around under your truck but requires that the transmission pan be dropped. Most expensive part of the job is the Mercon LV fluid.

1. Buy the new (updated) bulkhead connector, fluid, screen, and pan gasket if you're looking to replace everything. At the very least get the bulkhead connector and fluid.
2. Disconnect the wiring from the transmission. There's a level that you turn about 90 degrees to release the lock on the connector.
2. Drain the transmission fluid / drop the pan / remove the screen if it didn't fall off by itself.
3. There's a white plastic tab looking thing. Squeeze the locking clip on it and pull down gently. This unlocks the bulkhead connector and allows it to be removed from the transmission.
4. Remove the bulkhead connector. It just slides out.
5. Lube up the new bulkhead connector o-rings with fresh transmission fluid and fully insert it. It'll take a little effort but that's a good thing.
6. Push that white tabby clippy thingy up to lock the bulkhead connector in place.
7. Reconnect the wiring and lock the connector in place.
8. Install the screen / pan gasket / pan.
9. Fill the transmission. (easier said than done)
10. Get cleaned up and polish off the 6 pack you've been picking at while turning wrenches.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Did this on my Explorer. A good opportunity to change the fluid. Actually brought it to the dealer under warranty and he overfilled it by 2 quarts. That's why I do my own work.