2008 V-8 vs. 2016 V-6 on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
This weekend taking a quick vacation in Florida, I rented a 2016 Expedition. I have a 2008 here in New York and it was interesting to compare the two. The rental was a $35/day Alamo with 52,000 miles.

I was quite surprised at the difference between the two engines' performance. There's no question about it, the Ecoboost is quick. Maybe a bit more kick than the V-8. But it's certainly more noisy, more harsh and nowhere as smooth has the v-8. It also revs significantly higher. But it's certainly up to the task, cruising at 85 and 90 for hours with power to spare. I averaged 15 mpg on my trip, probably not much better if at all than my V-8.

Former Democrats' administrations have forced fuel consumption to be the issue that receives design priority. Unless it's your priority too, by all means choose the V-8. It's a much better all around performer and most likely a longer life engine.

As a side note, the Alamo rental was plagued with small issues. The electronic dash instruments were a mess, with ABS, BRAKE and Traction Control lights coming on with every pothole. Each time one lit, screen warnings popped up like Christmas trees with a cacophony of dings and gongs and beeps.

The push button start was convenient and cool but needless nonsense waiting to break.

I'm happy with my 2008. I think with all things considered, for me it's a better selection of components. As far as the V-6 goes, I would prefer not to buy one. I view it simply as unnecessary complexity required for an inferior product.

Just one more foolish mandate from a misguided overreaching government and the sheep who follow blindly.

Last edited:

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eddie - don't judge a truck by one from the rental fleet. Everybody beats on them and most car makers sell different models to rental fleets than the ones at the dealers. Also, if you want an Expedition, there is no V8 choice. Only the V6 turbo. I miss the sound of the V8 for sure but the V6 has pulled my 6500 lb. trailer with ease. I'm at 36,000 miles and has only had oil changes, knock on wood.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t call the ecoboost an “inferior product” but it’s not for me, i prefer the V8 and I’ve driven both on many occasions. Even had a little racing bout with an ecoboost expy once at a 20 MPH roll out of our tolls we both hammered down as he tried to get past me by cutting around and I wasn’t having it. We both hammered down windows down and as I took off he lagged a bit (turbo lag maybe?) I surged ahead of him at the start and he started to gain on me later on but too late to make the pass and I got my spot in the left lane in front of him. It’s to each their own but I’ve driven both and I like the way the N/A V8 handles and runs better.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drove a 2014 5.4 EL off lease in 2015 when we were looking. It had all the options, and was the right price, but then I drove a 2015, and never considered anything with out the EB again. It has more power everywhere in the powerband compared to the 5.4. More torque, lower, and more HP on top. When our 15 got totaled replaced it with a 17.

The trick with the 3.5TT EB is it generates more power for the same MPG as the V8’s. If you drive it easy it will do better than the 5.0 MPG wise, but if you are using the power it is about the same.

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also when comparing, make sure you're looking apples to apples. The short wheelbase ecoboost expeditions were mostly sold with 3.31 gearing, whereas all the ELs I believe had 3.73 gears. The V8 expeditions could be had with 3.31 in BOTH standard and EL models. Those tall gears were a pig in the V8. I almost bought a 14 limited EL (with 3.73 gears) till I drove a 17 EL (also with 3.73) and I'm sorry, but there was no comparison. Both trucks had around 30k miles and the ecoboost has gobs more low rpm torque and power everywhere. And let's not even mention towing, ecoboost hands down. I've towed the same travel trailer with both motors, same transmission and gears, and the ecobeast is king. The only place the ecoboost suffers is off the line with a trailer, it takes a second for the turbo to build boost whereas the 5.4 was right there ready from 0-5mph but beyond that the ecoboost eats its lunch (and does so very very quietly).

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is not perception.

The trick is to the wheels power. The EB and the 5.4 both have fairly flat Torque curves, hence why people like the 5.4 and the 3.5TT.

Any Dyno you look at the to the wheels number for the 5.4 vs 3.5TT, both with 93 on the same Dyno, the EB is 60+ more and 100+ HP more. The HP in the EB is MUCH flatter of a curve. We are talking 314HP vs 217HP and for longer. We are talking 357lb/ft vs 272lb/ft. The EB’s peak is MUCH lower, as in 1800-2000 lower.

So ~45% more HP and ~30% more Torque, all available sooner and longer.

Yeah, that is significant. While the difference to the 5.0 is less, the same is still in play. EB has more torque, available sooner, and for longer.

Then if we factor tuning in, it just makes it even more of a difference, because even with an 87 tune the EB has really good gains.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also comparing the 3 valve 5.4 designed in 2004. Compare it to the 5.4L successor the 6.2L which is 411 horsepower and 434 torque that is a fair comparison of current day figures.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are your previous comments? Hard to debunk your claims when you delete it...

To avoid long drawn out responses I deleted it about 30 minutes ago LOL. There is a 65 horsepower difference and 55 torque difference.... idk what alternative facts your using that the 5.4 magically loses more power than then EB through the driveline. Again compare the 3.5L to the 6.2L that is the only fair comparson and even then Not totally, as the 6.2 hasn’t received an update yet although it is scheduled for 2020.