2008 V-8 vs. 2016 V-6 on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard_S

Reaction score
My .02 I travel for work 80% of the time and I rent an Expedition and F150 all the time because of the size and comfort. I like the EB, it's a great motor and I love turbos. I've have many European cars with them. I also like the 5.4 in my personal vehicle. Occasionally I get lucky when I rent an F150 with the 5.0 in it. You can't beat that sound. I wish they would put that in the Expedition.
Time will tell how the EB longevity will be compared to the 5.4l. With proper oil changes and a light foot on the throttle when cold and a 2 or 3 minute idle after coming off the highway will make the turbos last a long time, some people will get 150k from them some 200k+.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Motor in the 15-17 Expedition has been around since 2010, there are MANY with 200K plus in F150’s that do serious work/miles day in and day out.

The Motor has proven longevity. Ford has never tested any motor as long as they did or put as many miles on test rigs as they did the 3.5TT.

We know about the valve coking, but that is a DI issue and not unique to Ford.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will make it a point not to drive an ecoboost, so I will remain happy with my old friend! :)

Haha, I made that same mistake. I was looking to buy a 5.4 expedition since they were cheaper than a 15+ with ecoboost. Then on a whim I drove a 17 at an auction and realized I couldn't have anything less once those turbos spooled up on the test track. Don't drive one or you will want/need one.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I sold my 2008 XLT when I picked up my new one (Max, 4x4) a couple of weeks ago. No comparison. The EB/10 speed really moves when I step on it hard, much better than the 5.4. Also, I averaged 20.5MPG first tank, which I never saw in the old one. On the highway at 65MPG I'm pretty sure I'd see 24MPG, maybe even 25MPG. It's quieter, more solid, with a better interior than my '08.

I was very skeptical about the EB when it came out. Now with the Gen 2 and port injection, I'm very impressed with the vehicle.

Wait until the motor breaks in... I'm at 5,000 miles now and it's significantly better then it was in the begging. :)

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha, I made that same mistake. I was looking to buy a 5.4 expedition since they were cheaper than a 15+ with ecoboost. Then on a whim I drove a 17 at an auction and realized I couldn't have anything less once those turbos spooled up on the test track. Don't drive one or you will want/need one.

Agreed....was looking for a new or new-used.....till I drove the 3.5 and I'm jaded by a lifetime of very fast motorcycles and cars.....so it takes a little more to catch my attention.....and it caught it.

Jeff

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny how many people keep saying a turbocharged engine is so complex. You’re using your exhaust to push a mechanical turbine that pushes more air into the engine. A little fuel, a little air, a little spark, and bang bang. So incredibly complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Decided to post this over here (from the highest mileage ecoboost topic).

Here's the link to the F150 forum with the guy having over 300,000 miles on his ecoboost F-150. He gave it to his son when it had 366,000. You can read through the thread to see he tows 85% of the time and the only thing I saw he did more often than the owner's manual recommendations is change his spark plugs every 50,000. No oil catch can no induction cleaning.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6-f150-ecoboost-chat/28082-300-000-miles-my-2011-eco-boost.html

Also while researching if I require an oil catch can. I found this article from 2011 at Edmunds, a site I have used often over the years, heck even when it was in book form pre-internet. It talks about the early adopters of GDI and how now (2011) many of the issues have been eliminated.

https://www.edmunds.com/autoobserve...33&utm_term=2470763_VigLink&mktcat=affiliates

I have decided to simply do the maintenance as recommended by the owner's manual with the exception of changing the plugs every 50,000 miles.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand the driving an ecoboost then not considering anything else. I’ve driven them on many occasions and it has never changed my opinion. I will admit the 3.5 and 5.0 are faster than the 3 valve 5.4L but as someone so wisely said speed isn’t everything...... and the 5.4 isn’t slow.... put it this way a 5.4 expy is still faster than many brand new midsized offerings. In the end am I just biased? Undoubtedly..... I just love the sound of a V8 and like the idea of more cubic inches better than more air and fuel in less space. Two different fields of thought. Nothing like hearing twin 502 big blocks screaming away on a speed boat!

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rub is that the ecoboost is such a better towing motor. I tow a travel trailer quite a bit over the summer so towing performance was a big deciding factor, as well as the new vehicle warranty and sync 3. I've towed extensively with the 5.4 in 2 properly equiped pickups (3.73 gears in both an 05 4 speed and a 2010 6 speed) and will tell you the turbo pulls better in the mountains and on the flats. There is no denying it from a towing perspective. The technology inside the cabin is also better on the ecoboost simply because it wasn't available on the 5.4 powered trucks.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get your drift but a lot of that is perceptive. The 5.4L is a great towing motor simply because if it’s torque curve...... I’ve been behind them pulling plenty and can say they perform a lot better than a GM 5.3 or 350 for that matter. The 5.4L torque peaks around 3,500 if I’m not mistaken.... so under load that is where it will want to sit in the rev range. However it is made to to this, now the ecoboost maxes out at what 1500 rpm? While it may seem the eco isn’t working hard I can assure you those turbos spooling to red hot that motor is working hard..... and the MPGs speak a lot of truth to that. Whether your going higher in the rev range or forcing in extra gas and air at a lower rpm to contend with the increased engine load you are working both motors hard. Again two different ways to go about making power but they do differ in where they make it..... where the 5.4L needs to climb higher to reach peak torque and downshift to do so the ecoboost doesn’t and nothing wrong with either. In fact the ecoboost torque falls off a cliff high in the rev range so staying low is key or they fall on their face. Full disclosure i would expect the ecoboost overall to perform “better” as its newer and has received updates, but that’s not to say the 5.4 doesn’t excel at it as well. The 5.0,3.5, and 6.2L should all perform “better” in a way. Can’t argue with you on the tech..... the progress has been good on that dept and will only get better and better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01