2008 V-8 vs. 2016 V-6 on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition007

Reaction score
I’m too poor to buy an EB yet... but I found a beautiful 2007 EL XLT 4x4 Texas Edition for $5k. Had to pick it up in the Dallas metro area (NO RUST). Had brand new Michelin Defenders, new battery, new rotors and pads, new bilsteins. A couple that bought a new 2017 donated this one to their church after doing a whole grocery list of repairs for the future owner. First vehicle I’ve purchased in years that did not need repairs when purchased. Has heated leather, sunroof, adjustable pedals, center captains. Love the truck, 5.4 does what I need it to do, 15.0/19.6 mpg. Pulling 9k 7.0 mpg, pulling 5.5k 9.0 mpg. When I can find an EB for this kind of price I’ll jump on it!

DonM

Reaction score
I can't believe I just read this entire thread. Only one question, why would anyone care how fast an Expedition is off the line. If I want to race I'll but a race car. :)
My 2006 EB now has right at 200,000 miles and, other than routine maintenance has had zero problems. I'm 6'5" and 260 and a musician. This thing has everything I need! Hauls all my gear with room left over for the golf clubs and is comfortable. Don't even have to take my cowboy hat off.
If I drive 65 on the highway, it will get 23 mpg. Around town, if you keep your foot out of it and don't try to race anyway to the stop sign, it gets 17. Towing my bass boat, it drops to 13 or 14. But it's a big boat.
Sure, I'd love to have a 2018, but even if I had a spare $50,000, I couldn't justify it.
Disclaimer: If I let my wife drive the Expy, it might get 11 mpg and wear out a set of brakes on two trips to the grocery store. :)

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My ecoboost is getting 17.4 in mixed driving, but if my wife were the sole driver it would be more like 11-12 (short commute and heavy foot). Both are great motors and I've owned both, but this little twin turbo has the pulling chops that can't be matched by the 5.4. It just can't be believed until you experience it in person as I had to find out after being a naysayer myself.

DonM

Reaction score
I will make it a point not to drive an ecoboost, so I will remain happy with my old friend! :)

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I will make it a point not to drive an ecoboost, so I will remain happy with my old friend! :)

Is your truck 2WD or 4WD? My 4wd 05 NEVER saw over 19 on flat ground no matter how slow I went.

My 17 EL routinely hits 20+ now that I have some miles on her.

DonM

Reaction score
Mine is 2wd. I used to drive fast, but now I'm not in a hurry and make an effort to get good mileage. My mileage is probably not typical but it is achievable if you work at it.
My wife has a 6 cylinder Ford Escape and she gets about 20 mpg average. I drove it 250 miles on the road Wednesday and got 28.6. I even passed a couple of people, which is rare when you are doing the speed limit. :)

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
That makes sense... yeah it's amazing how much the economy drops as you exceed 55-60 mph. here in NJ, the speed limit is 65 on the Parkway, but your getting passed at anything under 80.

I rented a 2wd 2017 last summer for an extended test drive while on vacation. That truck was better by 2-3 MPG across the board! It's something how different the economy is between the weight, parasitic drag, and wind resistance of adding 4wd.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sold my 2008 XLT when I picked up my new one (Max, 4x4) a couple of weeks ago. No comparison. The EB/10 speed really moves when I step on it hard, much better than the 5.4. Also, I averaged 20.5MPG first tank, which I never saw in the old one. On the highway at 65MPG I'm pretty sure I'd see 24MPG, maybe even 25MPG. It's quieter, more solid, with a better interior than my '08.

I was very skeptical about the EB when it came out. Now with the Gen 2 and port injection, I'm very impressed with the vehicle.