2009 5.4 Best Aftermarket Timing kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have timing chain rattle at startup sometimes so It's time to replace the usual suspects.

The truck has 176k miles so its time.

I'm looking for some opinions here as well as any one that might have experience with these kits.

I'm installing the Melling M360HV oil pump without a doubt.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4HF6DT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A30XU5Y510T9EB&psc=1

My 1st choice is the Melling 3-391CC Kit. Thensioners are cast iron but I'm not sure what the guides are, but I don't think it really matters.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M35UU93/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2nd choice is the CLOYES 90391SB, lots of people have used it with great success, but plastic tensioners.
https://www.amazon.com/Cloyes-9-039...91sb&qid=1563136711&s=automotive&sr=1-1-fkmr0

3rd is the the OEM Ford kit that comes with everything, but the cam phasers are fine so I don't see the need to spend $700.
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Camshaft-Drive-Phaser-Repair/dp/B00E2UMX40

Anyone with experience with these kits I would like to hear your opinions.

jjamm7667

Reaction score
Im doing my 2007 right now. I am trying to decide between your 3rd option and buying direct from the local dealer. For $850 tax included I can get everything in the 3rd option minus the crank gear from the dealership. That way I know for sure they are genuine ford parts. Check out this guys videos on Youtube. They are great.

jjamm7667

Reaction score
Im doing my 2007 right now. I am trying to decide between your 3rd option and buying direct from the local dealer. For $850 tax included I can get everything in the 3rd option minus the crank gear from the dealership. That way I know for sure they are genuine ford parts. Check out this guys videos on Youtube. They are great.

Also, I found the Melling Oil Pump M-340HV at Autozone for129.59 after a JULY20 dicount code.

Lastly, If your at 176,*** why not change the phasers if your tearing down the engine?

jjamm7667

Reaction score
Last thing. I just noticed this as I was looking at the post. The price I said from the dealer includes 2 vvt valves. without them im at $702 with tax. So that seals the deal for me. Im going with the ford dealer.

Ford Parts Cart

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen all of Fordtech's videos I follow him on the YT. Great input and suggestions as well as great walkthroughs.

I'm a firm believer of if it isn't broken don't fix it. I have seen quite a few of these motors go well over 200k miles with original phasers. I will use Ford originals if I ever do have to replace them and do it without removing the timing cover.

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well got everything in today. The Melling kit seems pretty nice. Figure I would post a couple pics, only have 1 for now.

Cast iron tensioner with a nice smooth clean surface.

20190719_094706.jpg

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat as you. My problem was I drove too far with little to no oil pressue. I thoroughly fokked my engine. Now getting ready to install a used engine with a new mellings oil pump and the mellings timing kit. Like you said,the phazors are still good ,so no need to replace just yet. Talked to one of my Ford tech buddy's and he said it's also a good idea to replace the vvt solenoids as there is an updated version.
Have any of you guys pulled the engine out of an expedition? Out what fun!!! Please,just next time,smack me upside the head with a 2x4.
That's my rant.