2010 Expy Horror Story - Content warning not for the squeamish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me also comment that during a storm and day or so after, most car washes are closed and in temps below 30 deg, it is not possible to rinse off your vehicles at home or you end up with an inch of ice on your driveway and a broken shoulder - been there, done that.

You run the vehicle through the car wash 2 times after it reopens 2 days after the storm, but unfortunately, the damage is already done by driving on the pretreated roads the day before the storm letting it “work” for the next 48 hours.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you imagine it fully loaded at high speed hitting a pothole? Top picture looks like it's ready to break in half.

That is ALL I can imagine now that I have seen it. This is our vacation vehicle. It could easily have failed with the family and all our festival gear going down the road at 60.

The reason I had it checked was "Steering wheel suddenly crooked while driving straight" and "Suspensions feels sloppy".

It is very fortunate I am picky about those sorts of things and SUPER lucky nobody was injured or killed.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Preventive maintenance is the best maintenance. Heck, my pups go to the vet for an annual checkup. And 'cuz I'm in Virginia my cars get a mandatory annual safety inspection which "probably" will spot something like this before it reaches the crush state. Yeah I can change the oil for less than 50% what what the dealer wants but even in Ohio I let the dealer do it every year.

-- Chuck

Yeah, I've been going to the local quick change place (Valvoline) and they never said a word. Guess oil changes should be done by real mechanics who give a crap.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been going to the local quick change place (Valvoline) and they never said a word. Guess oil changes should be done by real mechanics who give a crap.
If you can't do it yourself find a local garage that has a good reputation. Looking at that mess, you have had your and your families lives at risk for some time. Not good.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can't do it yourself find a local garage that has a good reputation. Looking at that mess, you have had your and your families lives at risk for some time. Not good.

I've learned my lesson.
I didn't realize the "mechanics" and both my oil shop and my tire shop were completely irresponsible aholes.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I would be hot too, they should have said something if they notice. But it is your responsibility to assure your vehicle is in a safe driving condition…not your mechanic, not your lube tech, not your insurance company. When you purchase a vehicle you are solely responsible for that piece of machinery. Inspecting the undercarriage should be done by any vehicles owner…ESPECIALLY in states with no inspections. Whoever did your inspection (if your state has it) should be fired. Now if you take your car in for a check up that’s a whole different ball game…then it is your mechanic’s responsibility to do this diligence on your behalf.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I would be hot too, they should have said something if they notice. But it is your responsibility to assure your vehicle is in a safe driving condition…not your mechanic, not your lube tech, not your insurance company. When you purchase a vehicle you are solely responsible for that piece of machinery. Inspecting the undercarriage should be done by any vehicles owner…ESPECIALLY in states with no inspections. Whoever did your inspection (if your state has it) should be fired. Now if you take your car in for a check up that’s a whole different ball game…then it is your mechanic’s responsibility to do this diligence on your behalf.

Disagree. The Valvoline oil change place advertises "18-Point Safety Check. We perform 18 additional vehicle safety checks for FREE with every oil change."

It seems reasonable to expect this to include
* Look at bottom of vehicle
* Report gaping holes in critical members

If was negligence.

Off to yelp to burn their house down. (metaphorically)

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disagree. The Valvoline oil change place advertises "18-Point Safety Check. We perform 18 additional vehicle safety checks for FREE with every oil change."

It seems reasonable to expect this to include
* Look at bottom of vehicle
* Report gaping holes in critical members

If was negligence.

Off to yelp to burn their house down. (metaphorically)
Before you "burn" anything down, don't you think you bear some responsibility? That amount of damage didn't happen overnight. Sorry, but imo it's on you.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you "burn" anything down, don't you think you bear some responsibility? That amount of damage didn't happen overnight. Sorry, but imo it's on you.

I don't have a garage or a lift so I paid a professional business to do a "18 point safety inspection". A bad yelp review IS letting them off light. I could probably sue.

I PAID to have it checked multiple times and they didn't say a word.

If I was a 90 year old grandma would you be acting this way?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn’t “pay” for anything but an oil change by a 16 year old kid. A 90 year old grandma would take her car to the mechanic once per year and ask him to perform an inspection and he would perform an in depth look at her car, and charge her accordingly for that work.

You can either take the bus/train…or bare responsibility for an automobile. If you choose the latter it’s up to the owner to maintain the vehicle to be in safe condition or seek out such services.
“I take it for an oil change here and there” is not good maintenance lol.