2010 Expy Horror Story - Content warning not for the squeamish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You didn’t “pay” for anything but an oil change by a 16 year old kid. A 90 year old grandma would take her car to the mechanic once per year and ask him to perform an inspection and he would perform an in depth look at her car, and charge her accordingly for that work.

You can either take the bus/train…or bare responsibility for an automobile. If you choose the latter it’s up to the owner to maintain the vehicle to be in safe condition or seek out such services.
“I take it for an oil change here and there” is not good maintenance lol.

So the business that advertises a safety inspection for money and then doesn't notice this damage is not responsible, I am? And I would be wrong to leave a bad review because they did not perform the service they charged me for?

This is just getting weird.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Free inspection"! You get what you pay for. No one hurt, no lawsuit.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You gambled to save a buck. Got exactly what you paid for. Think they ever really changed the oil?

It wasn't free. I paid for it.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
don't have a garage or a lift so I paid a professional business to do a "18 point safety inspection". A bad yelp review IS letting them off light. I could probably sue.

I PAID to have it checked multiple times and they didn't say a word.

If I was a 90 year old grandma would you be acting this way?
Acting what way? Like one who thinks a person should be responsible for their actions or lack thereof? If so then my answer is a resounding YES!

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Acting what way? Like one who thinks a person should be responsible for their actions or lack thereof? If so then my answer is a resounding YES!

I went to a car repair business and paid money for a safety inspection.
They reported nothing.
Seems like you're just someone who can't admit they are wrong.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back in the 60's, my 80+ year old Aunt was visiting us from her home about 1.5 hours away. When she was backing out of our driveway to head home in her '56 Buick, her tie rod fell completely off. Pretty sure she didn't do the service on her Buick. Guess it's been going on for years, eh?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If you have a "line item" receipt saying you paid a specific price for an inspection that included component parts, spend the $250 or so to get a real inspection elsewhere by a qualified inspector (professional SAE engineer) and go to court.

You will probably get a replacement vehicle out of the suit. In New York you definitely would. Your story and documentation has to be in perfect order, with a price paid for the "18 Point Inspection". Your true inspector has to be by a real automotive engineer (not some kid who changes oil or some industry certified mechanic) and you've got them.

By the way, I sued Jiffy Lube twenty-five years ago for putting a filter that was labeled "Not for Automotive Use" on my Suburban. They paid me well and I didn't even suggest any damage was done.

Why do I doubt you'll do this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a receipt saying you paid a specific price for an inspection that included component parts, spend the $250 or so to get a real inspection elsewhere by a qualified inspector (professional SAE engineer) and go to court.

You will probably get a replacement vehicle out of the suit. In New York you definitely would. Your story and documentation has to be in perfect order, your inspector has to be a real automotive engineer (not the kid who changes oil) and you've got them.

Why do I doubt you'll do this?

Because I never made any such claim?

ricco4592

Reaction score
Not to sound like an douche, but did you ever look under the truck? I'm just saying, I live in OK and dont have to deal with salt, but I am under my truck at least once every month either tinkering or just looking. There's no way that happened in such a short time.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to a car repair business and paid money for a safety inspection.
They reported nothing.
Seems like you're just someone who can't admit they are wrong.
Admit I'm wrong?? Look, the damage on that vehicle appears to have occurred over a period of at least 5 years. Not like it occurred between oil changes. You must have bought it used from a person who had that in salt water weekly.

You paid for an Oil Change performed by a kid who probably worked at McD's a week before he changed your oil. Was this your first oil change on that truck? It would seem that a few people saw that condition in the trucks life. Like the guy who rotated your tires, the guy who did your brake change out, previous oil changes and so on. More importantly is the one person who should have been aware of the deteriorating condition of their vehicle. Know who that person is? YOU!! You screwed up by not paying attention and trying to save a buck.

As for your statement I can't "admit when I'm wrong". Well , it would be laughable if it weren't so sad. Remember those are pictures of your truck, not mine.