2010 Expy radio swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering if it’s possible to swap out the standard radio with a Nav touch screen radio in a 2010 Expy. What I mean is is this a plug and play swap with the proper wiring already there? I know ford pre wires their vehicles for various options and I was wondering if this was the same

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You have a bit of a job ahead of you. The 2008 and earlier ones are plug and play, though they may need some programming, but 2010 isn't quite as easy. Aftermarket companies such as Infotainment offer a complete package including a used navigation head and a handful of harnesses for about $1400. Installation is a chore but the high priced kit makes it pretty foolproof.

The supplier programs the radio to your car's options and fabricates the harness with the proper plugs. Check out the Infotainment Web site for information about what's involved. There's also a video on YouTube showing the installation in a 2010 Expedition or a similar Explorer.

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. That’s a lot more involved and expensive then I thought it would be. Thanks for the help

JCP2018

Reaction score
I also looked at this since I have the tiny 4" stock screen, and can't believe the lack of aftermarket support, especially considering that there are aftermarket solutions already in place to maintain factory SYNC and wheel controls. It seems like there is more than enough room to mount an aftermarket DD, which would save a ton of cash. However, the only 2 viable options at this point are the Infotainment complete system for $1900 or have a custom tablet install for around $3k. I don't really care about installed navi, as we use Waze, but the bigger screen is a must.

If someone has successfully installed an aftermarket DD head unit in their Expy I would love to speak with you.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a bit of a job ahead of you. The 2008 and earlier ones are plug and play, though they may need some programming, but 2010 isn't quite as easy. Aftermarket companies such as Infotainment offer a complete package including a used navigation head and a handful of harnesses for about $1400. Installation is a chore but the high priced kit makes it pretty foolproof.

The supplier programs the radio to your car's options and fabricates the harness with the proper plugs. Check out the Infotainment Web site for information about what's involved. There's also a video on YouTube showing the installation in a 2010 Expedition or a similar Explorer.

When I did mine I wasn’t happy with infortainments gps antennas. Went thru 3 of them and they consistently lasted a few days to a few weeks and would stop working altogether. Bought the OEM ford one and no issues since. Quality control on whoever manufactures them for infotainment is atrocious.

ricco4592

Reaction score
bringing back an old thread. Would anybody have the correct part number for the nav radio for an 08? I'm looking into upgrading to one if its pretty much plug and play.

ricco4592

Reaction score
For anybody with and 07-08, make sure you get either and 07 or 08 nav radio. it is completely plug and play. Make sure to also get the gps antenna, very cheap on amazon.