2010 Ford Expedition EL Eddie Bauer - integrated towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atomickoolaid

Reaction score
Hey y'all. Looking at trading out our 2010 Expedition XLT (FWD) for a 2010 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer 4WD. Long story short, would be in the neighborhood of a cost neutral swap, but I'll gain 4WD plus the extra cargo room. Tired of having a car we can't drive for half the year in Minnesota.

My question is this: Is there a brake controller/system in the car? The EL has a 7 and 4 pin, and I saw the option for turning trailer sway on and off, plus there's the towing button on the shifter. But I can't figure out if there's a way to engage my trailer brakes.

If I hook my camper (two axle) up to the 7 pin, and hit the brakes, will the Ford signal my camper brakes to engage? Or do I need to install an aftermarket brake controller?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 7 pin round connector has has the wiring / provision for electric trailer brakes, as well as aux 12 volt to power, see below. Even with the 7 pin round connector with included trailer brake wiring, you will still need a trailer brake controller (TBC) to operate the trailers electric brake system.
1683370855069.png

With the HD tow option (standard on Limited model optional on other) the vehicle will have both 4 pin and 7 pin connectors, HD engine and transmission cooling and a pigtail connector to install a trailer brake controller (TBC). You will find the connector either already installed under the drivers side dash (marked as such) or in a sealed plastic bag in the jack compartment under the rear cargo floor. There was no OEM TBC unit provided for 2010. If the previous owner has not installed one and you want to tow a trailer with electric brakes, you will need install a TBC or have one installed for you.

Below is the 2011 Expedition trailer towing guide, which I believe is the same as the 2010.

Attachments

• 1683372298578.png
    1683372298578.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1683372920934.png
    1683372920934.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011 Expedition Trailer Towing.pdf
    762.1 KB · Views: 6

big_thumper

Reaction score
I have a 2010 limited and I agree with Glen above. I had the connector in a bag in the rear area and I bought a controller from E trailer. a Hayes proportional Energize III. Easy plug in install.