2011 Expedition Blend Door Actuator location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whip

Reaction score
I hear a loud clicking sound when adjusting the ac temperature. I’ve taken off the trim around the center dash and the radio. I see one actuator which is right behind the stereo but the sound does not seem to be coming from that one. I can put my hand on the actuator and I don’t ‘feel’ it thumping. It seems to be coming more to the drivers side...more toward the steering wheel. Is there another actuator back there or is there only one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is another temperature blend door actuator on the driver side and it's a nightmare.

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the heater core and evaporator core housing. For additional information, refer to Heater Core And Evaporator Core Housing in this section.
  1. Remove the 4 floor duct screws.
  1. Remove the floor duct.
  1. Disconnect the LH temperature blend door actuator electrical connector.
  1. Remove the 2 LH temperature blend door actuator screws.
  1. Remove the LH temperature blend door actuator.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. NOTE: Because the battery has been disconnected as part of the removal procedure, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators when the ignition switch is switched to the ON position. The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct temperature blend door actuator operation.

Below is the "shortcut."

OP
OP
W

whip

Reaction score
The link provided above is invalid

Aggiesrok

Reaction score
I replaced my drivers side on my 2012 limited. I removed the panel below the steering wheel and the pedal assembly from the firewall. I was able to access the blend door actuator fairly easily. Depending on which AC system you have it may be in a different location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The link provided above is invalid

Link is valid. Maybe it doesn't work in Tapatalk?

I replaced my drivers side on my 2012 limited. I removed the panel below the steering wheel and the pedal assembly from the firewall. I was able to access the blend door actuator fairly easily. Depending on which AC system you have it may be in a different location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like you're referring to the Defrost/Panel/Floor Door mode door actuator ?? The LH temperature blend door actuator can't be removed as you described. It would literally be impossible.

OP
OP
W

whip

Reaction score
I watched that video yesterday. That actuator is next to the floorboard. The sound is coming from what seems like between the steering wheel and the radio

OP
OP
W

whip

Reaction score
Link is valid. Maybe it doesn't work in Tapatalk?

It sounds like you're referring to the Defrost/Panel/Floor Door mode door actuator ?? The LH temperature blend door actuator can't be removed as you described. It would literally be impossible.

I’ve tried the link on the web. It’s still invalid

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I watched that video yesterday. That actuator is next to the floorboard. The sound is coming from what seems like between the steering wheel and the radio

The only one in that location is the one you already mentioned in your first post.

OP
OP
W

whip

Reaction score
Ok good to know. So if I understand correctly, there are 2. On behind the radio and one near the floorboard correct?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok good to know. So if I understand correctly, there are 2. On behind the radio and one near the floorboard correct?

(1) defrost/panel/floor mode door actuator: can be accessed from underneath the LH side of the instrument panel.
(2) Mode Door Actuator — Air Inlet Door: RH lower instrument panel
(3) Temperature Blend Door Actuator — LH: this is the nightmare one discussed in the video
(4) Temperature Blend Door Actuator — RH: behind the stereo
(5) Auxiliary Mode Door Actuator: RH rear quarter trim panel
(6) Auxiliary Temperature Blend Door Actuator: RH rear quarter trim panel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360