2011 Expedition Shock/Strut recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge55

Reaction score
I have a 2011 that I use for traveling that I bought new. Just about as the warranty expired, I had 3 of 4 shocks leak. I had all 4 replaced by the dealer (I had to pay for one of them). The replaced them with Ford OEMs. Even though they have lasted 7 or 8 years, 2 of them have started leaking again. There is only 40K miles on the car and it is kept inside. So, I'm looking for better alternatives. I've only had to replace shocks on one car before and at 200K, so I'm not sure if this is a fluke or not. I've had several other cars that have gone over 200K and never had to replace shocks. Maybe, I've been lucky. Anyway, any feedback on good alternatives to the Ford OEMs? Monroe?

Thanks.

Sutton

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am partial to OEM but since that hasn't worked out for you I can only suggest that you stay away Monroe Quick-Struts. I haven't come across a set that's lasted more than a couple of months on NYC roads. It's not worth the hassle of getting them warrantied and your vehicle realigned. I'm sure others will suggest better alternatives.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bilstein 4600s here and happy with them. Probably about 80k on them. Slightly firmer ride than stock, but that's a plus for me; some prefer a softer ride.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I swapped out to Rancho quick struts and they started leaking after less than 40k miles.

You can't go wrong with Bilsteins.

blkmonday

Reaction score
I recently put on KYB with a 2.5 inch leveling kit from supreme suspension. I had billstiens on backorder for almost a year and caved into the kyb...was told they are an American company but my struts are clearly marked made in China. They are decent though. I used the stock springs. The struts themselves haven't made the ride amazing or awful...pretty comparable to stock. We will see how they hold up compared to stock.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did the rear on my 2010 with KYB struts (spring and shock). Original weren't leaking, but when loaded with 6 people or towing heavier load, felt like it was floating too much from the rear. Without any load, truck felt fine. I will say that I don't notice much improvement. Still feels a little loose with load. So they seem as good as stock, and I'll see what else gives that feeling.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bilsteins are great. Have the 5100s on mine and love them.

Monroe/Rancho are lower tier brands.