2011 Expy Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a spare, designed to get you to a shop. If you expect more from a spare, you have unreasonable expectations. If you want a 5th tire, go buy a 1965 Galaxy 500, toss some bias-ply tires on it, and start rotating them every 1000 miles so you can feel good about it.

Good grief. Enough about "matching spares" already.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
You don't see this on the F150. GM uses the correct spare.
Please explain how Ford isn't using the "correct" spare. A spare is a spare to get you somewhere to fix the car correctly, not a daily driver wheel and tire. Look at my Benz SLK350 if you want to see a screwy one. I have super wide performance tires on it and it has a donut spare that needs to be filled with a can of crap that's in the trunk with it before you even use it. My wife's Mini Cooper doesn't even have a spare because it came with run flats.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think I have had to use a spare in years. All this thread made me think about is maybe doing some preventative maintenance because I have never even seen mine free from the truck.

As long as the diameter matches whatever tires you're running and it can hold air, who cares what it looks like? Save the fancy spare rim money, if you're planning to replace tires regularly enough that it would matter, then that cash could better go towards the actual tires.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Imagine how surprised the guy behind you in traffic was! :)

-- Chuck

Seriously! Really hope no one ended up getting hurt or causing damage to a car. But not much I can about it years later now!

At least we still get spares! I'm amazed at how many luxury vehicles omit the spare altogether and throw a can of tire slime in where a jack would've gone!

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if Ford put a matching 20 inch spare underneath, some of these same grumpy, lonely old men would be ******** that a cheaper 16 or 17 with a matching outside diameter tire would be better since its likely never to be used and would cost less money.

Some of ya'lls grandfathers must be the reason why Henry only painted the model T's black.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The 1st Gens have 265/70/17 alloy wheels and and a 265/70/17 steel spare. Why has Ford changed this? Something does not sound right.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
The 1st Gens have 265/70/17 alloy wheels and and a 265/70/17 steel spare. Why has Ford changed this? Something does not sound right.
I'm sure it has a lot to do with cost savings, but in the end it really makes zero difference to the consumer. It's a spare tire and will get you down the road more safely than most cars donut tires. This is only meant to get you where you need to go to get your wheel/tire fixed. Shoot, my 69 Camaro SS396 with a posi came from the factory with a donut for Pete's sake. This isn't anything new in the world of cars and trucks.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spare on my 2017 Expy Platinum with 22" factory wheels. 17" steelie... 285/45R22 32.1" vs. 265/70R17 31.6

View attachment 31586

That would actually make perfect sense if you had LT tires (half inch ~= 50% wear) or something with similarly huge tread

After all no one expects you to use a spare with 3 pristine new tires

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I'm sure it has a lot to do with cost savings, but in the end it really makes zero difference to the consumer. It's a spare tire and will get you down the road more safely than most cars donut tires. This is only meant to get you where you need to go to get your wheel/tire fixed. Shoot, my 69 Camaro SS396 with a posi came from the factory with a donut for Pete's sake. This isn't anything new in the world of cars and trucks.
I disagree, it weighs 5,000+ pounds and is used for towing. Just getting to next station is not good enough. I got a flat in the middle of winter. I blew a Goodyear RT/S, I couldn't find a replacement, for a couple of weeks. Goodyear quit making them and I didn't want to buy 4 new tires. My spare was on the whole time.