2011 HD Tow Brake Controller Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ditto on the Tekonsha with plug n play pigtail for earlier expys, and ditto on the '17 built-in (which I needed to add on my '17, using Forscan. And ditto on finding the blue brake lead bundled at the rear. PS mine told me the trailer's left blinker was O/D. That was a surprise!

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you all for the info. My 17 has the HD tow and I really do like it, I did not know that it will warn if a trailer tail light is out, thanks!

My 11, which I’m looking to add the TBC, also has HD Tow, so based on the info provided herein this should be plug and play with the adapter cable for the selected controller plugging into the Ford provided underdash connector.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
HD Tow comes standard with two trailer connectors at the rear bumper. 4-pole "boat/utility trailer" connector on the left of the hitch receiver and a 7-pole "Bargman/RV" connector on the right. If the 7-pole connector ain't there the truck does not have HD tow. The connector can be added but that won't increase the towing capacity like the full HD Tow package.

Connecting the Tekonsha Prodigy to an Expedition equipped with HD Tow is as simple as mounting the controller (does not have to be level) and connecting the Tekonsha pigtail under the dash. All power comes via that connection. Plug-n-Play. In some cases you'll need to mount the relay and fuse that was included in the glove compartment when the truck was new (and could have been pilfered since then) in the under-hood fuse box.

-- Chuck