2011 sync/bluetooth issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

makenzie71

Reaction score
I have a 2011 expedition with what I think is sync 3... I Can’t say for certain because none of the stupid examples on Ford’s pick your version of sync page look anything like what’s in my truck. A couple weeks ago it stopped connecting to any Bluetooth devices. No phones no tablets. I have done both of the integrated factory resets numerous times with no change. I’ve read about pulling the fuse in the fuse panel, letting it reset that way, I left a fuse out overnight and no change.

I am just now learning that there is common APIM issues with these things. Does this sound like an APIM issue? Is there anything i can do to confirm it, if so?

iamthedavem

Reaction score
A 2011 would not have Sync3. I'm pretty sure the 1st one with Sync3 was 2016 (that's what I have). I had a 2015 Explorer that had MyTouch (Sync2) so I'd be surprised if it wasn't Sync2 at the very latest.
Does your phone see Sync on your vehicle as a bluetooth device you can connect to but then refuses to connect, or does it just look like there are no bluetooth devices for your phone to connect to? Are all your devices Apple or Android based? If they are, ask a friend to try to connect with a different type than the one you have. Apple hardware is usually more picky about what devices will be allowed to connect. Sometimes an operating system update on the phone or other devices might change your device's ability to connect to an older version of bluetooth (the one in your truck).

I just checked for the manual and found this one online at ford.com. https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/11sycsy2e.pdf
It doesn't mention anything about Sync version anywhere in the manual that I could find so I'm guess that since it's apparently known as just "Sync", it must be the first version.
Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

makenzie71

Reaction score
I really don’t know because the interface doesn’t look anything like any of the pictures on Ford’s website. I base the version three on board telling me that there was an available update for the system and it listed version three. I can’t find a version or build number in any of the menus in the system.

We generally use two different pixel phones, which are on two different versions of android, in an iPad. both devices see the stereo and they pair up. They will also reverse pair. When you go to connect however the iPad says cannot connect. Both of the android phones say there was a problem connecting turn the device off and back on. If you try to connect to one of the android devices from the stereo it all grays out like it’s trying to connect but then doesn’t. Sometimes the system will say that it’s connected to the phone and it will talk about 911 assistance being offer on and if you make a call or receive a call it transmits via Bluetooth like it’s trying to go through the stereo but no audio goes through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK